PDA

View Full Version : Remember folks: Santa Clara, WCC tourney

BobZag
03-02-2008, 02:21 PM
Gonzaga may have won a piece of the WCC regular season title, and they may have secured the #1 seed in the WCC tourney, but they still need to beat the Broncos Monday night to win the league outright....the job is not done yet.

Also, for those who are calling out various SMC posters after last night's win, remember to lose with class, and win with class. The Zags may have to play the Gaels in the WCC tourney final.

Nevtelen
03-02-2008, 02:32 PM
Excellent points BZ. For the most part, most Gael fans avoided being too high on their horses after they beat us in Moraga. GU fans should do the same - both teams played very well and that effort on their parts deserves a classy reaction from fans.

As for SCU - well, the next 2 against SCU are the trap games of all trap games!!! There's the WCC and NCAA tourneys looming soon... However, I do think the team will remember last year and want to send SCU a message in K2, plus it'll be senior night... Hopefully things go okay and we don't need 2OT to beat SCU this time.

McZag
03-02-2008, 02:41 PM
This is the point of the season that we wait all year for. Luckily the team seems to be playing its best ball of the year, thank you Coach Few.

That said SCU will come into K2 trying to catch us sleeping and patting ourselves on the back for SMC win. We MUST stay vigilant Monday night and not let an RPI killer steal one.

Next the WCC tourney will be much harder than many realize. SMC is an obvious contender but don't think for a second that USD is gonna give up the bid easliy on their own court. They beat SMC on that court already this year and gave the Zags fits. USD will feel very confident that they can earn the bid and make the NCAA committee pull their hair out trying to put 3 WCC teams in the dance.

This season in just beginning folks. Enjoy the ride.

Bulldog
03-02-2008, 03:06 PM
Stop, you are scaring me.:pray:

Zag By the Bay
03-02-2008, 03:43 PM
Great win against SMU last night. The Zags are always going to be in games if Pargo and Matt are firing on all cylinders.
Josh played with some energy and Downs is coming off the bench with a much needed spark.
Austin Daye also played within himself last night and isn't fun to watch Kuso play these days?!!
Let's win one for Pendo and Kuso as they close out the Zag career's in the Kennel on Monday.
Of course nothing will make Santa Clara's season more enjoyable to upset the Zags on Senior Night.
It is not a must win by any means for us, but it sure would be a solid way to close out the regular season.
Go Zags!

Ziggy
03-02-2008, 03:48 PM
[QUOTE=BobZag;17818

Also, for those who are calling out various SMC posters after last night's win, remember to lose with class, and win with class. The Zags may have to play the Gaels in the WCC tourney final.[/QUOTE]

Aw heck BZ, we weren't calling out the respectable SMC visitors, just two very annoying trolls who came here after the loss in Moraga and tried to dance on our proverbial grave. But they never showed up; hmmm...I wonder why? :D

ZagAddict
03-02-2008, 04:08 PM
There will be more at stake in this WCC Tournament than there has been in recent years. I'm excited too see how this year's tournament plays out. Gonzaga, SMC, and USD all have legitimate chances to win the tournament...

Gonzaga draws a 4 seed (Santa Clara) or lower in the semi-finals of the tournament. It will be important for them to advance to the finals. I believe at this point Gonzaga will be playing for seeding in the NCAA Tournament. Gonzaga needs to head into the NCAA Tournament with confidence...

SMC draws a 3 seed (USD - home team in tourney) or lower in the semi-finals of the tournament. If they don't advance to the finals, they'll be forced to sweat things out during Selection Sunday... especially if USD ends up winning the tourney in San Diego.

USD has everything to gain in the WCC Tournament and has to love the fact that they are the hosts. They will have to play a quarter-final game, and then play SMC. If USD knocks off SMC in the semi-final, every Gael fans new favorite team will be Gonzaga. The scenario of USD playing Gonzaga in a WCC final and winning the automatic bid has to strike fear in the Gaels' hearts. This would probably mean Gonzaga gets to only at-large bid from the WCC... it would be the surprise of the Selection Committee if 3 WCC teams were placed into the field of 65.

As excited as I am for the WCC Tournament, I am more excited for Monday's game against Santa Clara. I will be seeing my favorite Zag of all-time in his last home game... Pendo won't let this Zag team look past Santa Clara :D

MickMick
03-02-2008, 05:25 PM
BobZag, I find that TommyGirl...or whatever the heck she is called...annoying. To bad other Gael fans must endure the drubbing she deserves. I look forward to watching her get beat down again after the WCC tournament. I have never posted on the SMC board myself though. I do think that MJGoGaels has some good observations.

dim4sum
03-02-2008, 06:22 PM
I agree absolutely that there has to be a clear focus on Monday's game. However, if the Zags win convincingly and then have to come back a week later to play the very same Santa Clara team that one could be a real trap game. Angley will be fired up Monday in lieu of the dumb foul that cost his team the game.

bigblahla
03-02-2008, 07:34 PM
We should start the game out with the press on defense and then press, press and more press.

The Broncos will not be able to handle the pressure and we have enough horses to stay fresh.

We do not want to play a slowed down game that allows Big John to go off on us in the paint. Let's run the Broncos into the ground.

Go!! Zags!!!

sullyzag66
03-02-2008, 09:21 PM
Based on the comments quoted in Jim Meehan's blog (http://www.spokesmanreview.com/blogs/sportslink/archive/?postID=7302#more) on tomorrow's game, I'd say the guys will be focused:

Sophomore guard Matt Bouldin rattled off three reasons why Gonzaga should be highly motivated for tonight’s regular-season finale against Santa Clara.

“They beat us here last year, it’s Senior Night and we sure don’t want to share this thing,” Bouldin said.

To expound, Bouldin is referring to Santa Clara ending Gonzaga’s 50-game home winning streak last season, tonight will be the home sendoff for seniors David Pendergraft and Abdullahi Kuso, and the Bulldogs need a win to claim an outright West Coast Conference championship.

Gonzaga (23-6, 12-1 WCC) defeated Saint Mary’s 88-76 on Saturday to clinch at least a share of the conference championship for the eighth straight season. The Gaels would share the title with a win over Portland tonight and a Gonzaga loss.

“A lot of people ask me what do you have to do to be motivated for this game, especially after (Saturday’s) game was so hyped,” junior guard Jeremy Pargo said. “Just think about what those guys did to us last year. They were up 20 in this building after we’d won 50 in a row. They beat us. We can’t let that happen again.”

Zag4Hire
03-02-2008, 09:34 PM
Looks like the big guy got bottled up and was in foul trouble:

John Bryant
19minutes; 1/6 FG; 7/8 FT; 6 REBS; 4 fouls; 4 turnovers; 3 blocks

Hopefully we can get a similar containment on him rather than his last performance against us.