• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zaguarxj
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Refs vs SMC

As one who complained about the horrible officiating in the win over Portland, I have to give props to the refs for last night's game. They really let the players decide the game.
  • Zag365
    Zag for Life
    • Apr 2007

Whether the refs were good or not, at least they were consistent. Our guys clearly figured out how to be aggressive (thank-you Tenn, Okla, GA) within the rules as enforced. Both teams played a physical game. Free throws were about even. I'm still not sure Zags would benefit from similar style of reffing if we played a top-10 team that is more muscular than SMC and has similar guard penetration combined with outside shooting capability. But, that is for another day (late in March).

Comment

• Nevtelen
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

The reffing was very solid and consistent last night - no coincidence that Dick Cartmell was one of the refs IMO. He's generally done solid games in the past.

Comment

• ebayzagfan
        Kennel Club Material
        • Jan 2008

Originally posted by zaguarxj View Post
        As one who complained about the horrible officiating in the win over Portland, I have to give props to the refs for last night's game. They really let the players decide the game.
        Glad you brought up this topic. I just realized how invisible the refs were in last night's game. And I am one who keeps an informal mental tally on questionable calls as a game progresses. I can't think of one call that I could really argue with. (Now please don't tell me they were the same trio that called the 1st St Mary's game in Moraga!)

Comment

• CaliforniaZaggin'
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2008

Agreed. The refs were great. One difference between the game in Moraga was the calls (or non-calls) when Patty Mills was driving to the basket. There were a number of times last night when Mills went hard to the basket and throw up bad shots, but the refs didn't bail him out. In Moraga, he was getting those calls even when there was little or no contact, i.e., the foul on Daye at the end of regulation. Mills is an aggressive penetrator, which puts a lot of pressure on the referees, but last night they did a great job in only calling fouls when there truly was contact, and not when they suspected there could have been contact.
          What are you doing, Adam? Do you even know how many people go blind from pizza shrapnel?

Comment

• 23dpg
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

I agree

I thought the refs called an NCAA tournament type of game.

Early on, I felt that they didn't call a charge on St. Marys. Then they didn't call it on Gonzaga....and again and again. They were very consistent with this call. It was a good game for both teams.
            Birds aren’t real.

Comment

• Reborn
              Zag for Life
              • Oct 2007

For once, I don't think I ever noticed the reffing. And that, I believe is how it should be. The focus was on the players and the play. It was my favorite game this year. It was just a great game by two very good teams, and great officiating. This was how basketball should be played, in the 80's. We finally got to play a team that likes the game played that way too. Great jobs refs.
              Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Comment

• Birddog
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

What refs?
                Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
                Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
                All mimsy were the borogoves,
                And the mome raths outgrabe.

Comment

• treehorn
                  Kennel Club Material
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Birddog View Post
                  What refs?
                  Exactly right. And I also agree that we were fortunate that Cartmell was available for the game.

Neither side profited from flopping. I liked Ehlo's comment after a St. Mary's player went round-heels (although it just as easily could have been a certain Zag player): "Flop not bought."

Comment

• sullyzag66
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by 23dpg View Post
                    I thought the refs called an NCAA tournament type of game.

Early on, I felt that they didn't call a charge on St. Marys. Then they didn't call it on Gonzaga....and again and again. They were very consistent with this call. It was a good game for both teams.
                    Dick Cartmell has officiated several quarter- and semi-final games in the NCAA tournament, as well a a final or two. It's what I expected when I heard he got the call for this game.

Comment

• Doktorkev
                      Bulldog Fan
                      • Feb 2007

Some of the best officiating (or non-officiating) I have seen this year. Just let em play. Props for the refs.

Comment

Working...
                      X