PDA

View Full Version : Tony Pargo in the NBA?

Winthrop99
03-03-2007, 01:10 AM
I have seen the Zags play a number of times... I live in Arizona so their ESPN games are right in right in my wheelhouse.

I really like Tony Pargo's game. He is strong and athletic. He has the ability to take guys of the dribble and post them up in the next possession. Also, I would wager that he can outleap most any guard in the country. Suprisingly, his numbers are not overwhelming. I suspect that much like Winthrop's Torrell Martin, he must share the ball with other talented players or defer to the "hot hand" on any given night.

Here is my question: How much attention does he get from the NBA? Is he expected to be drafted?

TM27
03-03-2007, 01:19 AM
Nice comments, we all realize that you meant Jeremy and not Tony, but good post. I agree Jermey can jump out of the gym! Go Winthrop!

JAGzag
03-03-2007, 03:28 AM
Winthrop99, I think the consensus is Jeremy has the skills to play at the next level, but he's not quite there yet. He should garnish a lot more visibility next year, and possibly in the NCAA this month.

GoZags
03-03-2007, 06:09 AM
Jeremy is a true soph and as has been noted, is still developing. He has an incredibly bright future.

He also has a very good role model == his brother Jannero Pargo who is in the NBA.

CDC84
03-03-2007, 12:42 PM
It sounds like Martin and Bradshaw are going to get invited to the NBA camps. Do you think that either have a chance to make the NBA? Obviously, both guys are going to play pro somewhere....even if it means going overseas like several Zags have in recent years.

How's Winthrop recruiting going?

TuckC
03-03-2007, 08:40 PM
He needs to fully comprehend and basically live by the book of Fundamentals. We know he has the athletecism, he just needs to show that he has the basketball IQ to run with the big dogs. I'd like to see him run off a pick or possible work in some other players in the last seconds of a half, instead of taking everything but 3 seconds and working from there. He has talent, he was tutored by MJ for some time, he needs display he has the raw capability up in his noggin too.

Winthrop99
03-03-2007, 11:01 PM
Both Martin & Bradshaw have been invited to an NBA camp in Portsmouth, VA, a first for Winthrop.

Bradshaw got a lot of attention as a potential NBA draft pick in the preseason. The attention diminished greatly when he struggled against Winthrop's non-conference opponents. His struggles probably began with a calf injury and developed into a confidence issue. To his credit, Bradshaw turned his season around and was named MVP of the conference tournament. During a recent game, a Dallas Mavericks scout was interviewed at halftime. The scout applauded Bradshaw's versatility and stated that Bradshaw has an outside shot at being a second round selection.

Conversely, Martin flourished during the nonconference slate. After Martin scored 30 points against his squad, Wisconsin coach Bo Ryan told reporters that several pro scouts had called him to hear his assessment of Torrell Martin. Unfortunately, Martin injured his foot/toe and missed several Big South Conference games. He returned and played well. He scoredsome key baskets (about 10 points) in the Bracketbuster game against Missouri State. He also scored a career high 32 against Coastal Carolina in the regular season finale. Martin is a fantastic player and I think he could start and star at many larger schools. Jay Bilas has always said that Martin is an NBA athelete but needs to work on his off the dribble game.

I am not a huge expert on recruiting. This year Winthrop redshirted a guard named Byron Faison. By all accounts, he is Winthrop's most highly touted recruit. According to articles I've read, he is a pure scorer and a great athlete. Video clips substantiate that he has some great "hops." They also redshirted a left-handed forward named Bickle, who came from a prep school in Virginia. I am excited about him too.

I remain hopeful that one of two things will occur to take Winthrop to the next level (in recruiting and as a program)-
1. an NCAA tournament win
2. Having Bradshaw and/or Martin stick with an NBA team.

Intuitively, I think the big prospects want to know they have a legit chance to win March Madness games and play pro ball.