PDA

View Full Version : No RUSHING OF THE FLOOR on Saturday!!!

GSL-KID
02-29-2008, 11:21 AM
It was nice on Monday when Vandy beat #1 Tenn and the only people on the floor were players and coaches.

I noticed when Saint Mary's beat us down there this year that some of their students started to rush the floor and were waived off by players especially Diamon Simpson.

So stay in your seats.

A special ST. Mary's T-Shirt is already the wrong message. A court storm would be saying much much much more.

LAZAGFAN11
02-29-2008, 11:29 AM
Let's just win first. How bout that?

Once and Future Zag
02-29-2008, 11:33 AM
Unlike St Mary's we don't have to act like we've been there... we HAVE been there :-)

mnzag24
i dont think that there is a single student that is thinking about rushing the court for a team that we are actually ranked ahead of in one poll.

zag944
charging the court would indicate that we were not expecting to when.

St. Mary's hasn't earned that yet. Not even close. Don't give them the pleasure. Act like you've done this before (as in, the last i dont even know how many years)

zag944
02-29-2008, 11:34 AM
i dont think that there is a single student that is thinking about rushing the court for a team that we are actually ranked ahead of in one poll.

maybe, but we have charged the court in wins over Tulsa and Santa Clara in recent years....

The Oregon Spike
02-29-2008, 11:39 AM
I say win it first, and then.....what the hell...rush it if you want!

ToreroStudent
02-29-2008, 11:42 AM
Do you guys think it was o.k. when we rushed the court? I don't think you guys should, but I think ours was justified. Court storming is an interesting science :)

lothar98zag
02-29-2008, 11:48 AM
maybe, but we have charged the court in wins over Tulsa and Santa Clara in recent years....
Tulsa? refresh my memory please.

And @ SCU in the WCC...well we all know that was unusual situation, to say the least...

zag944
02-29-2008, 11:50 AM
2002-2003 season, Bracket Buster weekend in the Martin Center

ZagNative
02-29-2008, 12:59 PM
I found this gem several days ago, from Stormingthefloor.com (http://www.stormingthefloor.com/2008/02/rules-for-storming-floor.html), highlighted over on LaRev (http://larev.blogspot.com/2008/02/outta-my-way.html).

Tuesday, February 19, 2008
Rules for Storming the Floor
Itís that time of the year again. As the NCAA tournament grows ever nearer, and teams hop on and off the bubble on a daily basis, tensions in the stands can boil over into the dastardly scourge of Floor Storming.

As we all know, storming the field of play can only result in injury, lawlessness, and the heartbreak of chlamydia. Fortunately, the SEC is doing something about it. They have levied stiff punishments against any member school that is unable to control fan behavior, as evidenced by the $25,000 fine incurred by Vanderbilt after pushing and shoving got out of hand in a win over Florida.

Now, I know kids will be kids, and sometimes the pain is worth it. Whatís college without chlamydia, I always say. But there should be a few rules in place to help impressionable youngsters assess the proper time and place for court storming.

When:

* If your unranked school beats a top-10 opponent.
* If your lower-division school beats a D1 opponent. (See: Virginia @ Chaminade)
* You beat your most hated rival in overtime, or on a last-second miracle shot.
* Your team breaks a long losing streak vs. a particularly difficult opponent. (See: Kansas State vs. Kansas at home.)
* Your team wins the league tournament in a one-bid conference.
* In the NCAA tournament, only a 16 vs. 1 upset really matters any more. If your school wins in the Regional Final or Final Four, you can storm.
* If your school wins the NCAA Championship. This special win also confers limited looting & pillaging rights.

Not OK:

* Winning the NIT.
* If your school is ranked. Possible exceptions for beating #1.
* Students at Kansas, UCLA, Kentucky, Indiana, North Carolina, and Duke should be used to winning. Unless a national championship is in sniffing distance, you will look like ####oles storming the court.
* Never, ever storm before the final buzzer sounds.
* If you storm an opponentís court, odds are you will get hurt.
* A personal milestone for a player or coach is his moment, not yours.
* The Ivy League? I donít think so.Handy to know we can storm the floor: "* If your school wins the NCAA Championship. This special win also confers limited looting & pillaging rights."

Nevtelen
02-29-2008, 01:04 PM
Do you guys think it was o.k. when we rushed the court? I don't think you guys should, but I think ours was justified. Court storming is an interesting science :)

I assume when you beat St Mary's? Justified, I think - they were ranked, you weren't. It was a big win. Go for it. Us - definitely not.

ZagNative
02-29-2008, 01:06 PM
TO STORM OR NOT TO STORM (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=forde_pat&id=2306416)

Within the last 10 days, those crazy college kids from Michigan, Iowa, Indiana, Georgetown, St. John's and Tennessee have stormed the basketball court to celebrate big victories -- and for the chance to act like lunatics on TV. ("Look, Martha, there's our boy! Yes, the shirtless one with his face and torso painted, howling like a savage and jumping on that other child's back. ... Is that a whiskey flask in his back pocket?")

After watching all these giddy group gropes, it's high time to publish the Forde Minutes Court-Storming Protocol Guide. Students are advised to read the following rules and to act accordingly the next time their team agitates them to the edge of hoops ecstasy:

ē The Lower Class Principle (12): If your team plays in a mid-major or low-major league and manages to coax (or trick) a BCS-conference school into visiting and you win the game, a storming is allowed. Exceptions: Memphis, Gonzaga or any other school whose program is demonstrably larger than its conference profile. Also: beating a certifiably horrible BCS-conference school (Baylor, Arizona State, Purdue, South Florida or anyone with an RPI worse than 150) is not worth the effort.
Please, God... Don't let the yahoos embarrass us ...:pray:

gueastcoast
02-29-2008, 01:30 PM
Just win, baby :o

GoZags
02-29-2008, 01:48 PM
2002-2003 season, Bracket Buster weekend in the Martin Center

Yes. The game that put Gonzaga in the dance (as the WAC commissioner -- who was on the NCAA selection committee was in attendance).

GU was unranked, had an RPI in the 40's with a couple of losses to near #300 conference foes. THAT was a bracketbuster that paid off in spades -- leading GU to perhaps the single most important win in recent history -- GU's NCAA win over Cincy. The setup for that game -- the back to back to back Sweet 16 run was over.... it was followed by the NCAA 1st round loss to Wyoming. Then -- GU was in danger of not making the dance (again -- the Tulsa victory was the difference maker). GU DOES make it in and wins the first game -- setting the the epic 2nd round ldouble o.t. oss to Arizona.

And GU's national run continues.

Who knows what would have happened if a) GU hadn't pulled it out at home against Tulsa during Bracketbusters or b) had GU not pulled it out against Cincy. I do know that these are the thoughts of GU's hoops braintrust (and I don't mean this board).

bartruff1
02-29-2008, 01:53 PM
Let's just win first. How bout that?

I haven't seen anyone worry about rushing the floor after a win since the WSU game !!!!

rennis
02-29-2008, 01:57 PM
I haven't seen anyone worry about rushing the floor after a win since the WSU game !!!!

yeah, if we didn't storm the court after beating #8 Washington last year by 20, pretty sure we're safe from embarrasment this year too.

CaliforniaZaggin'
02-29-2008, 04:30 PM
Agreed. DON'T STORM THE COURT. I'll be doing my part to keep the students in their seats.

VanZagar
03-01-2008, 05:39 AM
Everyone wants the Kennel Club to be a dynamic, motivating force in tonight's game. We want more noise, more motivation and an electric atmosphere to intimidate the Gaels. Yet, at the end of a victorious game these kids are supposed to flip a switch, become cool and detatched, and amble out like it's no big deal. My advice to the kids is to go with the flow. If it feels good do it! I for one won't be embarassed by some over the top fan enthusiasm.

ZagNut08
03-01-2008, 09:35 AM
the only way I am storming the court is if gdalezag sinks the half court short during a timeout

MickMick
03-01-2008, 09:55 AM
Only if Sorenson hits the game winning shot in triple overtime.....otherwise, no.

GaelBaller
03-01-2008, 10:27 AM
Yea, don't rush the floor.

However, don't forget to wear your newly minted "beat the gaels" shirts.

MedZag
03-01-2008, 10:30 AM
Personally I think there's about a 0% chance of the students doing it.

But yeah, would definitely not reflect well on us if it happened.

rennis
03-01-2008, 12:05 PM
However, don't forget to wear your newly minted "beat the gaels" shirts.

silly shirt? maybe.

Pathetic that it's taken this long for another team to be relevant in Gonzaga's conference? Certainly.

kitzbuel
03-01-2008, 12:09 PM
They have levied stiff punishments against any member school that is unable to control fan behavior, as evidenced by the $25,000 fine incurred by Vanderbilt after pushing and shoving got out of hand in a win over Florida.

Might explain why no Vandy rush after their win over the Vols.