PDA

View Full Version : Pendo Article - The Ultimate Zag

BobZag
02-28-2008, 10:16 AM
As soon as Jim Meehan's S-R article on Pendo is available for free, it'll be posted. Few and Grier both have some great things to say about David.

Stay tuned.

edit to add:

main article: http://www.spokesmanreview.com/tools/story_pf.asp?ID=233878

plus some extra: http://www.spokesmanreview.com/blogs/sportslink/archive/?postID=7265

Lurknomore
02-28-2008, 10:27 AM
It is a great article. He is in my eyes the Ultimate Zag and I will really miss him when he leaves. You can see how much he means to the program by the quotes from Few and Grier.

For those that are lucky enough to be at Saturday and Monday's games let him hear how much we will miss him.

gamagin
02-28-2008, 10:30 AM
praise. Gotta love this kid.

ZagNative
02-28-2008, 10:30 AM
Check out this link (http://www.spokesmanreview.com/zags/stories/?ID=233878) and see if the story comes up without the subscription login.

I could be wrong, but usually, I can get in for free to Zags story when I start from the regular Gonzaga page (http://www.spokesmanreview.com/zags/) on the SR and select the story there on the right.

This quote should get to a few of us Pendo lovers:

The Gonzaga-San Diego game had been over for 30 minutes when Bulldogs senior forward David Pendergraft approached first-year Toreros coach and former GU assistant Bill Grier in a hallway inside the Jenny Craig Pavilion.

Before Pendergraft could say a word, Grier informed him that he was the greatest Zag and that he had no idea how much of an impact he had on Gonzaga's program over the last four years.

Asked about the exchange later, Grier said, "In the 16 years I was there, if I had to pick one kid and put his picture over what the definition is to be a Zag, he's the guy. He's just somebody that has such great belief in that program and the university and he just bleeds Zag blue."

Whatever the working definition of a Zag, Pendergraft meets or exceeds every qualification.

Birddog
02-28-2008, 10:53 AM
That's all nice, nice, but why does he get so many minutes?

ZagNative
02-28-2008, 11:02 AM
Birddog = very, very bad ...:D

scrooner
02-28-2008, 11:02 AM
I have a #25 jersey. It's sweet.

Once and Future Zag
02-28-2008, 11:20 AM
People in Brewster ask me, 'You dunked all the time in high school, why don't you anymore?' I'm like, 'I played three years on a torn quad tendon.' I can dunk. I have some athleticism left," said Pendergraft, who breaks into a wide grin when he adds, "This is my excuse: I'll lose half of my fans if I do it. I think that's a pretty good excuse."

Wild.

Zerogame
02-28-2008, 11:22 AM
You don't have to be the best to inspire those around you. It's that inspiration that gets others to perform at the highest levels. It's the belief that what you are doing is important. Pendo does that in spades! He brings the best out of the team in practice, in games, and away from basketball. The coaches and players say as much. How can you not find room on the floor for such a leader. Coach Few knows that.

Akzag
02-28-2008, 11:25 AM
C'mon people ... five stars! five stars!

MedZag
02-28-2008, 11:27 AM
David's a great guy. Probably the most intelligent player I've had the opporunity to hang out with too. The dude's just SMART.

The competitive 150% streak extends to everything he does to. Don't try to play the guy in hockey with sticks and a crushed beer can, all I'll say.

Larrylegend
02-28-2008, 11:44 AM

Check out his stats. Now on to meaningful conversation...

I'll join legions of Pendo fans Monday night in saying goodbye to one of the greatest to ever wear a Zag uniform.

Coach Bobby Knight was once asked who was the greatest player he ever coached. Coach Knight responded, "That's easy, Steve Alford." Eyebrows raised and jaws dropped. Coach knight went on, "Steve wasn't the quickest, or the best shooter, passer or have the best athletic ability. But he was the best because he got the most out of what he had been given."

Same could be said about Pendo. We will truly miss you!

Just A Zag
02-28-2008, 11:58 AM
As much as I love getting a 5 star recruit, if we were guaranteed a pendo for four years I'd take it in a heart beat. Much harder to find, and in some regards, more beneficial to the team

zag buddy
02-28-2008, 12:26 PM
Can anyone tell me what he hasn't done excellently? He is my favorite player. I don't think he has reached his potential because he does the job assigned to him. Left to his own decisions and play, he could be the top scorer every game. I hope he goes on to play at the next level. Thanks Pendo.

lothar98zag
02-28-2008, 12:32 PM
http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/6076/zaga1jc2.jpg

:allhail:

cair3
02-28-2008, 12:38 PM
Pendo is great for the team and a great ambassador for Gonzaga. He deserves his minutes, but I wish he didn’t turn the ball over so much when trying to pass over guys 4 inches taller than him. I can’t understand how the smartest guy on the court with 4 years of experience and a style of play that is as risk less in nature as possible has an assist to turnover ratio of 1.1 to 1. I mean he only turns the ball over an avg. of once a game but every time it is a dumb turnover. How do smart players make such dumb turnovers? His passes from the high post are especially troublesome when a taller guy is guarding him. Cowgill took the ball from him multiple times when he tried to forces passes by him. We need to stick him on the stretch machine.

jake
02-28-2008, 12:59 PM
The article said he hasn't dunked in a game. I'm almost positive he had a decent dunk in a game earlier this year. Am I crazy?

lothar98zag
02-28-2008, 01:25 PM
The article said he hasn't dunked in a game. I'm almost positive he had a decent dunk in a game earlier this year. Am I crazy?
someone w/ a lot of time could check the gozags.com boxscores. all (almost all?) have game play-by-play listed...

jpwils
02-28-2008, 01:34 PM
Pendo is a throw-back to an early 60's type of player with some 2008 ish
add-ons.

He not only sacrifices for his team every time by diving for loose balls,
setting real screens where he lays a body on somebody no matter what,
gets position inside on players much taller and comes up with rebounds,etc.

Pendo has the ability and smarts to make the three point shot on the pick n pop, moves without the ball almost as well as any player in the college game,
and LEADS BY EXAMPLE, not mouth. He shows by his play he does not care
about stats...he cares about his team winning!

You will be sorely missed and David, they should play videos of your highlights for all incoming freshmen in the future. You play basketball the way it was meant to be played!

drnoe
02-28-2008, 02:21 PM
Hard to believe that just a few months ago, we were all looking forward to a full season of Pendo. Now, we're down to a handful of games. Let's hope that handful turns out to be 10.

TM27
02-28-2008, 04:43 PM
Please throw this in the hall of fame so that in 2 or 3 years, heck maybe even next year, I can come read about this again.

GonzagaGurl08
02-28-2008, 05:11 PM
I saw that article in the newspaper this morning, and it made me remeber why Pendo is one of my favorite Zags!!!

Ziggy
02-28-2008, 05:49 PM
Some long ago thread, perhaps even GUnation, it was said that no other Zag has ever come from the 1A's, or even 2A's, as far as Washington player's were concerned. Except for perhaps walk-ons.
Maybe ZagNative the Archivist could retrieve that or it's like. It just leads me to think how far desire coupled with skill and savvy can take a player not from
the Power Divisions, Speaking for many in the North Central Washington area,
I think I could say that we all embrace David as our own and our proud of how much he has accomplished. He is unparalleled. Even if he and his Brewster Bears embarrassed the home town team 111-33, back 5 years ago. By the way those Bears are making a run in 1A in Yakima and said embarrassed Liberty Bell Mountain Lions are too (in 2B in Spokane)! The way he performs near the end of the season, better, harder, stronger, using a running metaphor, I would say he has quite a kick! Go Pendo, finish it out in style!

Bulldog
02-28-2008, 05:50 PM
If I was ever in a jam of sorts, the one person that I would want watching my back is that redhead from a "B" high school that made it big,but yet he is still most humble.
Coming from a "B" school myself, he is my hero and is what I wanted to be if given the opportunity. Go Pendo!!!!

imazag
02-28-2008, 05:57 PM
Hello - We would love to get a decent copy of the photo that accompanied the S-R article today. I saw it off to the side on the link, but it doesn't transfer well - very pixelated when we set it as our desktop. Any knowledge on how to get it? Thanks. My email is imazag@aol.com Thank you

Zag, You're It!
02-28-2008, 06:42 PM
Pendo is also my favorite player…he was the reason I started watching Gonzaga basketball in the first place. It’s going to be weird not seeing him on the court every game. :(

tobizag
02-28-2008, 07:16 PM
david's commitment to putting the team first, sacrificing his body for every ball, and his desire to win will be the things i remember the most. he will be SORELY missed.

david...best of luck to you in the coming years. thanks for all of the great memories.

rooster!

ZagsGoZags
02-28-2008, 07:24 PM
BobZag

thanks for the links
it was very moving, a true American success story
I hope he can play professionally somewhere and rack up some bucks before going to law school
he would probably invest it wisely

billyberu
02-28-2008, 08:47 PM
Pendo is the man. Without question my favorite player. A couple of years ago I posted on the old board that I thought he should be more of shooter than he had shown up to that point. Lo and behold, in the years to come, he has become the outside threat to compliment his already solid all-around game.

I wonder this young man's future holds for him. I'm not sure the NBA is in the cards, but then again, what do I know. But with this guy's passion for Gonzaga hoops I honestly would root for him to be involved in the coaching of future Zags.

ZagAddict
02-28-2008, 08:58 PM
I don't even want to imagine the GU bench without Pendo in his #25 uni. He has become my ALL-TIME favorite Zag. What a great person to have available for younger Zags and recruits... he's my definition of what it is to be a Zag.

Thanks Pendo :D Go Zags!!!

Ziggy
02-28-2008, 10:47 PM
If I was ever in a jam of sorts, the one person that I would want watching my back is that redhead from a "B" high school that made it big,but yet he is still most humble.
Coming from a "B" school myself, he is my hero and is what I wanted to be if given the opportunity. Go Pendo!!!!

Bulldog, The famous Brewster Bears of the early 80's (83-0) was a "B" school. By the time David Pendergraft played they had grown into a "1A". Still small town but just a little bit bigger! :)

rawkmandale
02-28-2008, 10:48 PM
Truly a great article, and I called S-R Sports Editor Joe Palmquist to tell him so. I think he already knew Meehan's piece was special, and that Pendo was deserving.

I had the opportunity to tell Father Spitzer last week that Pendo is my favorite player. He responded by saying "he won that San Diego game for us." He then said that he had taught Pendo in a higher level philosophy class recently, and that Pendo is one of the smarter kids on campus, and has a strong personal faith. He expects great things out of David in the future. I guess that is no big surprise.

LoveMyZags
02-29-2008, 07:52 AM
I have never heard a bad word spoken about David. I had a sad realization during the USF game in San Francisco. I was sitting there during the second half (a little bored, not going to lie, but when you know USF has no chance of winning, it was a little boring...sacrelig, I know) and I was like, woah, David was a Freshman when I was a senior, the only player in a uni that I could say that about. I just got a little sentimental. :mecry:

I have read other articles about him and I absolutely love how Austin looks up to him. His stats may not show it, I think he is one of the best to ever roam the halls of GU.

I will be there on Saturday in my #25 jersey for my own little senior night as I cannot stay for Monday. I may even shed a little tear...

Thanks for always having and showing both on and off the court what it means to be a Zag, Pendo. As shown by everyone above...we LOVE YOU! (not to mention he is one handsome dude! :drool: )

Once and Future Zag
02-29-2008, 08:26 AM
I hope that #25 gets at least an "unofficial" retirement.

It wouldn't be right to see anyone else with that number.

ZagNative
02-29-2008, 08:39 AM
David is so passionate, every photo of him is special and captures a feeling, a memory, of what it was like and how we felt and who we were at a given moment in time. In the photo below, we see David embracing another beloved Zag, JP Batista, after Gonzaga defeated Oklahoma State in Oklahoma City, December 28, 2004.

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Zags/Pendo/2004-12-28PendohugsJPonvictoryoverO.jpg

Note to Birddog: Regarding a couple of the responses to your tongue-in-cheek post, it appears that some folks did not get the joke, as you were obviously parodying the many threads on this board by posters lamenting the lack of playing time for their favorite players .... Ah, never mind. Just as Lisa Lubner's father (God rest his soul!) was born without a spine, some folks must grimly struggle through life devoid of a sense of humor ...

former1dog
02-29-2008, 09:57 AM
Since his first game his freshman year, my wife has teased me about my "man crush" on Pendo by saying, "You looooove Pendo!"

nuf said.

S.U. Chieftain
02-29-2008, 05:41 PM
Since his first game his freshman year, my wife has teased me about my "man crush" on Pendo by saying, "You looooove Pendo!"

nuf said.

former1dog - you too?
I've been teased by my wife for the same thing!
Who are we going to watch next year who can try and take over Pendo's enthusiasm, hustle, and underdog status? Ira?

Once and Future Zag
02-29-2008, 05:53 PM
I'm not sure for next year, but Brock seems the best bet to be the next Zag-to-the-core.

S.U. Chieftain
02-29-2008, 05:57 PM
I'm not sure for next year, but Brock seems the best bet to be the next Zag-to-the-core.

I don't know anything about the recruits. Tell me about Brock. I'd love a frosh coming in who was a "Pendo Jr."!

Once and Future Zag
02-29-2008, 06:11 PM
Brock Osweiler - verballed to GU as a frosh - PF from Montana, also a Pac-10 level QB (based on who's futilely recruiting him).

What I've gathered from the bits and pieces, he's dedicated to being a Zag, and has some of that fearless-tough strength that Pendo has.

Brock will be a frosh the 09-10 season.

He's going to be a bull.

Next-year, maybe Grant Gibbs (combo guard) who's wanted to be a Zag as long as he can remember.

Reborn
03-01-2008, 09:57 AM
I first saw Pendo at the state tournament his junior year. Saw him in the Sundome the following year twice. I knew immediately he was someone special. His jumpshot was beautiful, and I'm glad to see he's getting the opportunity to display it now. The guy can flat out shoot, and I think we need to get him even more 3 pt opportunities. I mean, man, he's our best 3 pt shooter. Get him the ball Pargo.

The other thing I noticed about David was his passing. Passing is truly a lost art, but it's one thing that all great players can do. I think when I see kids play at the high school level what I see that seperates the great ones from the good ones is their passing.

I think that one thing that I love best about David is his STORY. I means something to me because I grew up in Eastern Washington, and not too long ago I lived in Omak (for work) and of course drove through Brewster many times. Pendo, is Eastern Washington, and the fact he played in a small school ils great.