• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ZagsGoZags
    Zag for Life
    • Nov 2007

Nice article by Will Kraus

Despite a good 22-6 record, good wins over UConn, Western Kentucky, and St. Joe's, the 2007-08 Bulldogs are indeed a mystery.

Having seen 24 of the games either on the Tube or in person I have yet to see this team play 40 minutes of the basketball they are capable of.

There has never been this much individual talent on any Zag squad in history, but no Zag team that I can remember has taken this long to shake out the wrinkles and come together.

Center Josh Heytvelt is only now in the last weeks of conference play beginning to resemble vaguely the kid that manhandled Hansbrough in the Gonzaga win over the Tarheels.

Granted, lack practice and game minutes due to the infamous mushroom episode, and several recurring foot injuries have caused the young man to be slow in rounding into shape, but until just lately, the spark, the unbridled joy of playing a game Josh loves seems to have deserted him.

Guards Matty Bouldin and Micah Downs have been inconsistant, while the two freshmen, Daye & Gray have shown flashes of brilliance, but still make freshman mistakes. The two steadiest players all season have been Jeremy pargo and David Pendergraft.

Jeremy has shown the ability to to lead this team with his point guard play and if necessary, take over the scoring load with his powerful drives to the rack and much improved three-point shooting.

Pendo has just been Pendo, undersized for the paint at 6'6", 225. He has been among the rebounding leaders all season, shooting over 40 percent from long range and slipping down the baseline several times each game for quick inside strikes. Both he and Jeremy leave it all on the floor every game.

6'9" Adullahi Kuso has done a workmanlike job in the middle, while Josh has been ailing, and our young bigs, 6'11" Rob Sacre and 7'4" soph Will Foster have shown signs of improvement, but are a long way from being ready for prime time minutes.

So it all boils down to which Zag team will show up this Saturday night at McCarthey Athletic Center (K2) against a St Mary's Gael team that pushed us around pretty good at their place.

If the Zags win this game and play well in the Conference Tourney, I feel confident that a lot of the powers in the Big Dance will run into a Zag team that will give them fits. Let the mystery end!
  • ZagNative
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Who is Will Kraus? Where did the story appear?

Comment

• tobizag
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by ZagsGoZags View Post

Jeremy has shown the ability to to lead this team with his point guard play and if necessary, take over the scoring load with his powerful drives to the rack and much improved three-point shooting.

Pendo has just been Pendo, undersized for the paint at 6'6", 225. He has been among the rebounding leaders all season, shooting over 40 percent from long range and slipping down the baseline several times each game for quick inside strikes. Both he and Jeremy leave it all on the floor every game.
      whoever this will kraus guy is, i think he is spot on with his analysis of this team. imo, if all of our players began to live up to potential and leave it on all on the court day in and day out, we could see some magic come march.
      sigpic

GU Class of '07

Comment

• MDZag
        Redshirt
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by ZagNative View Post
        It appears he is a "contributor" on bleacherreport.com. Ohh how the web has made everyone an expert...

Comment

• xjzico
          Professional Zag Fan
          • Feb 2007

I disagree about being pushed around by St. Mary's. People seem to want to make that loss worse then it was. The Zags were not outclassed in any sort of way and could have just as easily won that game. What would people be saying then?
          We lost, we won; either way we had fun. - Eduardo Galeano

Comment

Very good...

But, I think he may have missed the improved and more consistent defense this team has shown......in addition, they have been willing to share minutes because of the depth and that may result in inconsistent individual performances and lower individual seasonal stats but hopefully a longer run.... they are just teriffic to watch...IF you don't worry about individuals getting "their" time and points and look instead at the team effort and results..

Comment

• lothar98zag
              PostPadder General
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by ZagNative View Post
              ditto

youtube - "The Runner"

Foo Fantasy Football Champ 2013

Dumbing down the internet, one post at a time

Foo Fantasy Football Champ 2011

Comment

• HillBillyZag
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

One never knows?

Yes, it was I, the notorious HBZ. I had no idea that they would select my comment or that anyone would bother to read it? I merely attempted to speak my mind and offer my opinion.
                [/QUOTE]“Sometimes a player's greatest challenge is coming to grips with his role on the team.”
                ― Scottie Pippen

Comment

• ZagsGoZags
                  Zag for Life
                  • Nov 2007

Will Kraus
                  amateur sports writer on Bleacher Report

Comment

• MedZag
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

MedZag
                    amateur sports writer on GU Board
                    Training Grounds: Rambling Thoughts of a Surgical Resident
                    You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions. -Siddhartha Gautama

Comment

• ZagsGoZags
                      Zag for Life
                      • Nov 2007

that's right, he is just an observer like you and me
                      what did you think of his content?

Comment

• ZagsGoZags
                        Zag for Life
                        • Nov 2007

sorry if this misled anyone
                        I just found the article on the internet, liked it, and posted it for reactions

I put his name there because it was on the article

when asked, I had to look up the article again, I had never heard of the Bleacher report before, or of him

Comment

• Ziggy
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

There has been an aura of mystery in many of the games, who's going to show up on any particular night and who isn't. The team, as a a whole, is
                          a bit of an enigma. Good, enigma's are hard to prepare for. Not like the Ammo years, everyone knew who would show then.
                          "Reaching into his bag and taking out a stone, he slung it and struck..."

Comment

• jim77
                            Zag for Life
                            • Oct 2007

Will "the hillbilly" Kraus...I like it!

I don't think the team has played to what its capable of....yet either. Also, as I gaze the NCAA horizon, I don't see what I perceive to be a dominant team. I believe any number of teams have a legit shot at winning it all. If this team plays up to what its capable of, it will be amongst those teams.

To be honest, I'm surprised we've done as well as we have WITHOUT a scoring bigman all year. Don't get me wrong, Kuso has played like a warrior...a defensive warrior. The offensive warrior is waking up from his bad dream and looking for his spear! We soon will be putting a nice twoesome together, which will greatly enhance our chances. The one thing about GU that scares GU opponents is they have a knack for playing well in big games.....and the next big game is this Saturday for the conference title.

Comment

• ZagsGoZags
                              Zag for Life
                              • Nov 2007

The mystery component is that everyone knows, including knowledgable opponents, that this team not only seldom fires on all cylinders, but seldom plays over its head.

7 to 10 years ago that became our bread and butter reputation, that, as a Cinderella team, we could go off on somebody and win a huge upset.

I can't think of a single game this year that we won, that would be considered playing 'out of our minds' or 'over our head.' Even if we had beat Memphis or Tennessee, it would have been surprising, and an upset, but not shocking.

So, the often expressed hope on this board, is that all of our efforts to come together and click as a team, might be starting to peak or gel as we approach the extremely critical next two games we play, then in the WCC tournament, then in the NCAA tournament.

Even when Ammo, Derek and Batista beat Michigan State, I had the feeling we were perceived as playing over our head. So I liked the article for articulating something I have been feeling as unique this season.

Every team fears us, because every team knows that we COULD put together the pieces anytime, like we have not yet demonstrated. And if that happens, all of our opponents know we could beat anybody. Furthermore it would not be viewed as outrageous. IMHO

Comment

Working...
                              X