PDA

View Full Version : A nice story about the Zags

steventreich
03-02-2007, 04:44 PM
Given the negative (and unfounded) coverage/discussions over the last several weeks about the Zags trading character for talent in their rise to prominence, I thought it would be refreshing to pass along a touching story about the current players.

I was talking with a friend today that went to Gonzaga with me in the early 1990s. He now lives in California and is PASSIONATE about the team. He took his 7 year old son to the USF game this year who, not surprisingly, is also now a huge Zag fan. After the game, he caught Derek Ravio as he was heading to the locker room and asked Raivio to say "hello" to his son. Raivio told my buddy that he would return after he showered.

My friend and his son waited for a long time in the stands, and the place was nearly empty when, true to his word, Raivio returned. But not only did he come out, Raivio brought everyone on the team with him. [Try to imagine what that precise moment must have been like for a little kid] Moreover, they didn't just come out to give a perfunctory greeting. Instead, the players spent a long time talking with them, were very gracious, down to earth, and the whole team signed autographs for his son. In particular, my friend noted the kindness of Raivio and Downs. Downs even thanked his son for asking for an autograph, which made a huge impression on my friend about Downs' character. Needless to say, it was an incredible thrill for my friend's son and something the little guy will never forget.

This wasn't something that was done for publicity because noone else was around. Rather it was a demonstration of class and mutual appreciation between players and fans. The next time someone mentions anything negative about the Zags, remember that there are probably many stories such the one above that are never told. Maybe this happens at other schools as well but for me, it brought back the pride I have always felt about the character of the Gonzaga program. Anyway, just thought I pass this along.

gamagin
03-02-2007, 04:56 PM
Great story, well told. tnx

zag69
03-02-2007, 07:52 PM
Thanks for relating the story...it made my day and reminds me of what true Gonzaga class looks like in a player and team.

spokane86
03-02-2007, 08:01 PM
That makes me even more proud to be a ZAG.

pdxzagfan
03-02-2007, 08:15 PM
Great story about a great bunch of guys. Thanks for sharing.

former1dog
03-02-2007, 09:05 PM
Wow. This one will end up in the HOF or the new story forum.

If others have similar stories please share them here.

ZagDaddy
03-02-2007, 09:10 PM
Great story and thanks for sharing. It's always nice to hear about random acts of kindness.:)

englishzag
03-03-2007, 07:04 AM
I can recall something similar happening to my sister and I. We were at USF in the early 90's for a game and who should be sitting three rows in front of us but Kareem. My sister was about 8 at the time and went down during half time to ask if he would sign her program. He said "absolutely not". She was gutted and had tears in her eyes for most of the second half. It was not until after the game when she caught up with Jeff Brown that her day brightened. He could not have been nicer. He took her out to a reception area where most of the team were getting their stuff together. He had everyone sign her booklet and from that day on for about 3 or 4 years everytime they played in the Bay Area she would bake brownies with my dad to give to the team after their games.

Give me a solid nice guy player over a hall of fame jerk any day of the week.

Cheers

steventreich
03-04-2007, 09:03 AM
any reason why this thread was "moved"?

former1dog
03-04-2007, 03:23 PM
any reason why this thread was "moved"?

I didn't personally move the thread, Steve, but it was probably moved because this "sub" forum was specifically created for great stories like your own so they don't get lost to page 20 on the big board.

steventreich
03-04-2007, 10:56 PM
I obviously don't post very often because I'm not smart enough to hide my name or figure out what happened to the thread. thanks for the info.

UberZagFan
03-05-2007, 02:53 PM
Great story. Thanks for taking the time to post, even if you haven't figured out how to hide your name.

Zag79
03-07-2007, 03:48 PM
stories like this make me laugh out loud when i think of posters that act like they know dr and use the words pouty, selfish, etc. :lmao: great post by the way!