PDA

View Full Version : SMC Game Poll, Pick your winner and scoring margin..

former1dog
02-26-2008, 09:01 PM
This game is HUGE and we might as well get the hype machine rolling early this week.

Participate in the poll and then opine with a post about how you think it will go down.

If you've got a pulse, you've got to be excited about a game that decides the regular season conference championships!

tobizag
02-26-2008, 09:14 PM
i got GU by 11+.

explanation: in the biggest game of the year, i expect us to bring our absolute best, and at our best, in our gym, we win by more than 11 vs the st mary's decepticons.

Once and Future Zag
02-26-2008, 09:19 PM
GU by 8

alaskazagnut
02-26-2008, 09:23 PM
Does Gonzaga or St. Marys need the win more if neither win the conference tourney. I think the Zags need the win more.

spudzag
02-26-2008, 09:23 PM
I think it comes down the last possession, GU by a single bucket.

former1dog
02-26-2008, 09:31 PM
Does Gonzaga or St. Marys need the win more if neither win the conference tourney. I think the Zags need the win more.

Good question. I absolutely think that both teams need this win badly if for no other reason than to avoid the 3rd seed, USD, on their home court in the Semi's. No one wants to deal with that until the finals.

rawkmandale
02-26-2008, 09:56 PM
GU by 5, 68-63

BroncoZAG615
02-26-2008, 10:12 PM
GU by 14.

Avoid the phantom calls by refs and maybe even benefit from some..after all we are the home team!

Austin plays out of his mind again and Josh breaks out (please).

Crowd is going to be wild. Students and teachers are buzzing about it.

Ziggy
02-26-2008, 10:18 PM
Gonzaga by 6- unlike Memphis, free throws are our saving grace!

MickMick
02-26-2008, 10:55 PM
Gaels are "on the road again" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JZyXXrziDo&feature=related). Time for them to sing the blues.

VinnyZag
02-26-2008, 10:58 PM
SMC hasn't beat a good team on the road yet. Samhan's banged up, Mills isn't playing terrific right now, and the Zags can't possibly leave Golden wide open six times again.

Zags by double-figures.

2wiceright
02-27-2008, 12:06 AM
I'll second that outcome. K2 is gonna be a madhouse! Zags by 15 plus!

FrosTbear
02-27-2008, 07:32 AM
GU by 10 IF Josh and Kuso bang the boards and we play as a team like Pendo plays every game... (110%). The green lights are on for our shooters and if they move the ball around and get the open shot with 10 seconds on the shot clock we will have no problems. NO HURRIED SHOTS...NO SM SHOOTER LEFT ALONE...NO STUPID TURN OVERS...NO SCORING DROUGHTS...NON STOP YELLING FROM OF FANS....NO PROBLEM

Goshzagit
02-27-2008, 07:55 AM
This Saturday's game is going to be a great one resembling a heavyweight bout between two teams "fighting" for a conference title and to claim themselves as #1 in the WCC. :)

My prediction: Although the crowd is gonna be crazy and our Zags will show intensity, I have a feeling we start out cold and fall behind early which has been the case in nearly every game this year. However, the Zags will compensate for our lack of offense early on and clamp down on the defensive end by extending our defense to shut down their "shooters". Without their coveted three ball, the Gael's offense will be vulnerable and subsequently, attempt to rely on Simpson or Samhan to carry their offense. As witnessed in the Kent St game, this contained pressure will disrupt their entire flow and SMC will be unable to spread us out and score in bunches, as they did in our previous match-up(see Golden from outside & Mills w/the dribble/drive). Fortunately, the Zags will pick up the scoring slack and hit the ground running in the 2nd half by riding our inside game of Heytvelt/Kuso who'll combine for around 25 pts. As seen in all "big" games, Pargo will not be stopped and will wear down Mills or Smith to score 18 and dish out 8 assists. Downs will be the sleeper pick for MVP by scoring 14 and playing solid "D" against Simpson. In a relatively back-and-forth game, I believe the Zags pull it out by seven. 76-69.

P.S.--> Silly question/concern: Considering the major hype this particular game is generating and all the energy, passion, and excitement exhibited by Zag fans, is anyone else nervous the students rush the floor if we pull out the victory?!? I believe the Kennel Club board will try and stop this from occurring, yet with all the new students/freshman in attendance, it might be difficult to contain. I recall a few seasons ago, when the Board had to convince and physically refrain the KC from rushing the court following a win versus #8 Washington. I understand our first priority should be to WIN this game, but I can't deny my concern about the students rushing the court, especially after the St. Mary's T-shirt fiasco.

KC Board: Please, please don't allow our young and green Zag fans to rush the court if we are to be victorious on Saturday...for the sake of our reputed program and fanbase.

J-Lo
02-27-2008, 08:04 AM
vs the st mary's decepticons.

:lmao:

rennis
02-27-2008, 08:05 AM
Zags by 8. We could win this game by 20 but their 3 point shooting will keep them in it.

I'll be there...I can't friggin' wait.

SteelCityZag
02-27-2008, 08:20 AM
...and here's why:

1) This is the kind of WCC game that we've been wanting/needing for years: a meaningful conference matchup against a ranked opponent.

2) They've already beaten us once this year and the regular season conference championship is on the line. If that won't put fire in our bellies, nothing will.

3) JH is returning to form. Look for he and Kuso to put on a defensvie clinic inside.

4) Say what you will about the mysterious nature of this Zag team, but they have always shown up for big games.

5) We're at home! Big advantage.

6) The coaching staff realizes that this game is a statement game. They'll have the team galvanized and focused on victory.

xjzico
02-27-2008, 08:22 AM
As I read the tea leaves, GU by 11+. St. Mary's has peaked and running on fumes, their frontline is nicked up while Josh continues on the ascendant, Bouldin breaks out of his little funk, and the team begins to really click on offense. Break out game for the Zags.

There's my prediction.

dpouley
02-27-2008, 08:45 AM
45 votes for the Zags winning by 6 or more? WOW, there are some confident Zags on this message board...of course that is really no surprise.

I think that the fact that this game is at K2 is huge, and may be the difference in the game, but I think for some of you to proclaim that GU will win by double digits is overly confident. It is amazing to me that Gonzaga fans, that understand first hand what it is like to overlook an opponent (because other teams have been overlooking the Zags for years) would overlook a team like Saint Mary's.

It should be a very good game, I think Saint Mary's may be the best WCC team that GU has seen in the last eight years (even better than Pepperdine in the early part of the 2000s). I think GU has shown this year to be a team in a transition year, with players still trying to find their place on the team and with youth leading to inconsistency. Put those things together and I do not see the GU dominance in this game that many of your are proclaiming.

I would say that this game will be very close, and that GU has the slight edge being at home, but to say that they will win by double digits is an opinion heavily biased by one's love for their team.

LongIslandZagFan
02-27-2008, 08:52 AM
If I could I would have voted for more cowbell.

tobizag
02-27-2008, 09:00 AM
I would say that this game will be very close, and that GU has the slight edge being at home, but to say that they will win by double digits is an opinion heavily biased by one's love for their team.

don't be so quick to claim knowlege of how other's opinions are formed.

ft discrepancy in the last game...they shot 42 and made 26...we were 12/18.
if they had shot the same amount as we did, at the same rate, they would have made 11...now lets' say we play moderately better on defense (coupled with the raucus HOME crowd) and i doubt golden goes 6/6 from 3pt. let's give him 50% (feeling generous) and he makes 3. gee, i've just accounted for (carry the 7, divide by the square root of pi) 24 pts that i don't think st mary's gets at our place. now let's say we ONLY get 18 ft, just like in moraga, but now we're at home...let's say we make 14. hmm, if my math's right, ( we lost by 4 last time )now we're up by 22.

and finally...WE ACTUALLY TURN THE LIGHTS ON WHEN WE PLAY BASKETBALL IN SPOKANE! that will account for at least 10 more points for Gonzaga, whereas the decepticons will miss several shots they usually will make at home. now it isn't unreasonable to see us winning by 30 is it?

so i guess those of us who are voting for "GU by 11+" are actually being quite conservative in our estimation.

stick to your own opinions, and let others have their own.

lothar98zag
02-27-2008, 09:14 AM
...a game that decides the regular season conference championships!

It'll decide the conference as long as both teams win their last WCC game on Monday.

xjzico
02-27-2008, 09:20 AM
Actually, I think the Zags will win by double digits because they aren't overlooking the Gaels. I'll bet the Zag players felt they should have taken that game in Moraga, and have circled this game on the calendar to set things right from their perspective.

Or in other words, "the Gaels are who we thought they were!" Nobody's overlooking them.

CarolinaZagFan
02-27-2008, 09:34 AM
I think we win by 7. We have to stay close to Golden. But not close enough where he can jump into us and get a foul when he has nowhere else to go. :D

ZaggyStardust
02-27-2008, 09:49 AM
WOW - Welcome back dpouley! I can't tell you how much I have missed the Fusky trolls on our board....

dpouley
02-27-2008, 10:11 AM
stick to your own opinions, and let others have their own.

Its my opinion that those thinking the Zags will win by double digits are not making an accurate prediction. Hope this helps.

rennis
02-27-2008, 10:11 AM
It should be a very good game, I think Saint Mary's may be the best WCC team that GU has seen in the last eight years (even better than Pepperdine in the early part of the 2000s).

yes, and we used to beat the snot out of Pepperdine at home in those big games too. Thus our optimism.

Those Pepp. teams were more athletic than this current St. Mary's squad too. That said, I think we'll only have a single digit win but we're a better team by a double-digit margin...their 3 point shooters will undoubtedly make it interesting.

dpouley
02-27-2008, 10:17 AM
WOW - Welcome back dpouley! I can't tell you how much I have missed the Fusky trolls on our board....

Its funny that anyone with a differing opinion on this message board is automatically deemed a TROLL.

This idea, that no one with a difference in opinion has anything worth while to add to the discussion, may be the same idea that leads many of you to believe that your team (the team that only you are allowed to discuss) will win by double digits against Saint Mary's.

I have stated many times that I am a Husky, I have been very clear on that, but I have also been clear that I watch every Zag game, have seen over five games in the new Kennel, seen every Battle in Seattle, have traveled to Las Vegas to watch the Zags play, and I am married to a Zag. I am far from a TROLL, I am a Zag fan that has other teams he is more passionate about and a Zag fan that can look at the team from an outsider's perspective.

ZaggyStardust
02-27-2008, 10:24 AM
Its funny that anyone with a differing opinion on this message board is automatically deemed a TROLL.

This idea, that no one with a difference in opinion has anything worth while to add to the discussion, may be the same idea that leads many of you to believe that your team (the team that only you are allowed to discuss) will win by double digits against Saint Mary's.

I have stated many times that I am a Husky, I have been very clear on that, but I have also been clear that I watch every Zag game, have seen over five games in the new Kennel, seen every Battle in Seattle, have traveled to Las Vegas to watch the Zags play, and I am married to a Zag. I am far from a TROLL, I am a Zag fan that has other teams he is more passionate about and a Zag fan that can look at the team from an outsider's perspective.

Perhaps it's because I cannot recall even one positive post you have ever made about the Zags...

tobizag
02-27-2008, 10:36 AM
Its my opinion that those thinking the Zags will win by double digits are not making an accurate prediction. Hope this helps.

i realize it is your opinion...my point is that it's an opinion about other's opinions. we seek to have opinions about basketball. had you come out and said, "i think the zags may be overlooking st mary's, and therefore the game will be close" nobody would have jumped on you. when you say "your opinion that we'll win by double digits is not accurate", then you are challenging others opinions. this board allows differing opinions just fine, and you can see that by the fact that many people in this thread have predicted a zag win by only a few points...and they weren't attacked for their opinion.

again, share your opinions about the game and the team, but my advice would be to stay away from calling another poster's prediction foolish.

dpouley
02-27-2008, 10:36 AM
Perhaps it's because I cannot recall even one positive post you have ever made about the Zags...

Is that an implication that every post I make about the Zags is negative? The original post that I made in this thread was not negative about the Zags at all, it was critical of the opinion that the Zags will beat St. Mary's by a double digit margin.

I will admit that I bring something different to these message boards, but I think that many of the regular contributors to these message boards are hyper-sensitive to anything critical of the Bulldogs.

dpouley
02-27-2008, 10:38 AM
again, share your opinions about the game and the team, but my advise would be to stay away from calling another poster's prediction foolish.

I understand your point, and I apologize. I see that my approach inflamed the subject.

ZagsGoZags
02-27-2008, 10:52 AM
I can't find "Fusky" in the dictionaries

for me, it raises images of funky, musk ox, and musty

lothar98zag
02-27-2008, 11:03 AM
ok, back to the main point of this thread...

former1dog
02-28-2008, 11:11 AM
Bumped up for more votes and more opinions/predictions.

lothar98zag
02-28-2008, 04:05 PM
FYI, kenpom.com (http://kenpom.com/sked.php?y=2008&team=Gonzaga&t=p) has GU favored by 6 w/ a 72% chance of winning.

FWIW, IIRC, for the game @ SMC - kenpom had SMC favored by 2 w/ a slightly lower % chance of winning for SMC than GU is listed as having on Sat...

OZZag
02-28-2008, 06:30 PM
Here is my 5 cents worth, no 1 cent pieces in Australia...

The Zags by 10, although they will by up by much more with 5 minutes left, they will give LG, Sacre, Ira and Will a chance to be on the floor to soak up some of the atmosphere. Josh and Kuso will hammer them, with Sahman leaving with his tail between his legs. Pendo, Downs and Daye will help spread out the defence with some long range bombs. Pat Mills will probably play ok, but Pargo, Grey and Bouldin will outplay SMC backcourt.

Go Zags!

sullyzag66
02-28-2008, 07:12 PM
GU by 14.

Avoid the phantom calls by refs and maybe even benefit from some..after all we are the home team!

Austin plays out of his mind again and Josh breaks out (please).

Crowd is going to be wild. Students and teachers are buzzing about it.
Dick Cartmell is scheduled to be one of the refs and he usually calls a solid game. He'll set the tone and let them play.

LongIslandZagFan
02-28-2008, 07:44 PM
More Cowbell.

Rangerzag
02-28-2008, 08:08 PM
More Cowbell.

More Cowbell !!!

Reborn
02-29-2008, 09:35 AM
Zags by 12. St. Mary's just hasn't played enough tough road games this year. The Kennel noise, and yes lights, will throw off their concentration. Also, Sam Han is injured, and that will not help them. I also believe the Zags are a little more rested, as St. M has had two tough games in a row. Zagdom will be rocking Saturday Night after the game.

billyberu
03-01-2008, 07:06 PM
Reborn calls it. Zags win by double digits even with Mills and Simson going off. Bouldin and Micah have monster games. The Zags play great team ball. Dpouley has egg on his face.

All is well with the world...

Rubbadub
03-01-2008, 07:26 PM
Dpouley has egg on his face.

All is well with the world...

I was going to find this thread and say much the same thing...

former1dog
03-01-2008, 08:22 PM
23% of Zag fans ended up being correct... Which means a majority of us were incorrect, including me. :o I'm seldom happy about being wrong, but this time I'm just fine. :D

Ziggy
03-01-2008, 09:44 PM
45 votes for the Zags winning by 6 or more? WOW, there are some confident Zags on this message board...of course that is really no surprise.

I think that the fact that this game is at K2 is huge, and may be the difference in the game, but I think for some of you to proclaim that GU will win by double digits is overly confident. It is amazing to me that Gonzaga fans, that understand first hand what it is like to overlook an opponent (because other teams have been overlooking the Zags for years) would overlook a team like Saint Mary's.

It should be a very good game, I think Saint Mary's may be the best WCC team that GU has seen in the last eight years (even better than Pepperdine in the early part of the 2000s). I think GU has shown this year to be a team in a transition year, with players still trying to find their place on the team and with youth leading to inconsistency. Put those things together and I do not see the GU dominance in this game that many of your are proclaiming.

Two words: POMPOUS IGNORAMOUS. In retrospect, how wrong you were!:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

dpouley
03-01-2008, 11:20 PM
Two words: POMPOUS IGNORAMOUS. In retrospect, how wrong you were!:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

This is a classy post. (sarcasm)

And I am sure that if I had been correct, and the Zags had won a close game that you would have come on the message board and admitted you were incorrect in your prediction.

My opinion was the same as many in this poll, yet because I am an outsider I am the target for many of the yahoos that posts on this site. Thats fine, I was wrong, it wasn't the first time and it won't be the last.

Just like it won't be the last time you spout off and start calling someone names.

BTW, I posted this as soon as I got home, before I read your post:
http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?t=10350

Ziggy
03-02-2008, 12:20 AM
This is a classy post. (sarcasm)

And I am sure that if I had been correct, and the Zags had won a close game that you would have come on the message board and admitted you were incorrect in your prediction.

My opinion was the same as many in this poll, yet because I am an outsider I am the target for many of the yahoos that posts on this site. Thats fine, I was wrong, it wasn't the first time and it won't be the last.

Just like it won't be the last time you spout off and start calling someone names.

BTW, I posted this as soon as I got home, before I read your post:
http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?t=10350

Not calling you names dude just identifying your ailment, thus the Latin!
By the way you don't have to type "sarcasm", that was obvious by the first line of the original post of yours that I quoted. Best be respectful when in someone else's house, or you will be dealt with accordingly. No surprise there!