PDA

View Full Version : Steven Gray & Bainbridge with a big game tomorrow

CDC84
03-02-2007, 01:05 PM
Steven Gray and Bainbridge take on O'Dea tomorrow at 6pm at Bellevue Community College. If Bainbridge wins, I don't know how many games are left in the 3A tourney, but I do know that the 3A state title game will take place on Saturday, March 10, and that it will be shown live on Fox Sports Northwest. Let's hope Steven gets there........

UberZagFan
03-02-2007, 01:16 PM
I'm not sure but I think that game tomorrow is just for seeding purposes. Both teams are in next week, regardless. The tourney starts next Wed or Thurs. Angelo, can you confirm any of this?

Oh, and yes, lets root for Gray to carry his team deep in the tourney.

Angelo Roncalli
03-02-2007, 01:21 PM
Here's the deal: there are 3 games tomorrow in the District Playoffs. 5 of the 6 teams will go to state. Sealth plays Rainier Beach, at 11 a.m. the winner of that game takes 5th place in the district and goes to state; the loser is out. At 2:30 PM, Seattle Prep vs. Bellevue for 3rd/4th place in the district, both go to state. The nightcap game is O'Dea vs. Bainbridge, at 6 p.m. (1st, 2nd place), and both go to state.

madness
03-02-2007, 01:23 PM
It seems like he's struggled a bit lately. (as in he's not scoring as much)

Are teams playing a box and 1 on him? Has anyone watched him recently?

BobZag
03-02-2007, 02:18 PM
For crying out loud, how many times do these Metro teams have to cannibilize each other before state?

UberZagFan
03-02-2007, 02:23 PM
For crying out loud, how many times do these Metro teams have to cannibilize each other before state?

I agree. And tomorrow's game is essentially an exhibition game, considering both teams will be in state next week.

CDC84
03-02-2007, 03:00 PM
The one thing that I've noticed madness is that while Gray's numbers have gone down in recent games, the numbers of his teammates have gone up. Bainbridge had four double digit scorers last game. Perhaps it's as you suggest....that the guys around him are making teams pay for guarding him so closely.

229SintoZag
03-02-2007, 03:37 PM
The one thing that I've noticed madness is that while Gray's numbers have gone down in recent games, the numbers of his teammates have gone up. Bainbridge had four double digit scorers last game. Perhaps it's as you suggest....that the guys around him are making teams pay for guarding him so closely.

I have seen several Bainbridge games this year, and I ran into the coach Scott Orness last weekon the ferry and got his thoughts on the playoffs.

Bainbridge is a very balanced team with a legit threat in Gray, but also in other players including PF Cody Gibler, who I heard somewhere is a nephew of Jack Sikma or something like that.

Anyway, Gray's style of play is to do whatever it takes to win. If that means he scores, fine. But he is just as happy to dish and let his teammates carry the scoring burden if he is face guarded or double teamed. Gray is not Jeremy Pargo or AMMO or Pendo in terms of on-court demeanor: he does not show much if any emotion, and he never wears his heart on his sleeve. He sometimes reminds me of the big smooth Sam Perkins in how calm and patient he is on the Court. To the extent he is intense, it is a quiet, controlled intensity. If he has ever trash talked, it is a well kept secret.

Another point is that Bainbridge has better size (bulk) than a lot of Metro teams. I don't have stats handy but I'd be very surprised if Bainbridge is often beaten on the boards. Their center and forwards are not the tallest, but built very solid and pretty good at blocking out and getting putbacks, etc. This could also account for Gray's scoring drop to the extent that Bainbirdge is taking advantage of this mismatch and of defenses keying on Gray to let these guys do the heavy lifting on the offensive end. While none of the district playoff teams have guards as good as Gray, the guard play with these teams is better than the average guard play in the Metro League as a whole (where Gray could often abuse those smaller, slower guards guarding him); hence the shift to another of Bainbridge's strengths to get through the playoffs.

That said Gray is capable of going for 30 against anyone, anytime on any given night.