PDA

View Full Version : Bracketology Feb 25

zagzilla
02-25-2008, 10:40 AM
Lunardi has us rising up to a 6 seed and SMC down to the dreaded 8/9 game.

If we can run the table, we should be in position to reach the second weekend or beyond

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/bracketology

CaliforniaZaggin'
02-25-2008, 10:51 AM
We didn't play a game since the last update on Friday, but we moved up three seeds. Sometimes I don't understand Lunardi.

Also, first things first. Let's beat the Pilots tonight!

MBZags
02-25-2008, 11:12 AM
Is there a rule about not matching up with teams you played in the regular season until a certain point in the tournament, or am I just making that up?

ZagNative
02-25-2008, 11:16 AM
We didn't play a game since the last update on Friday, but we moved up three seeds. Sometimes I don't understand Lunardi.
I don't know if this is the answer to your question, but Lunardi says:

onzaga
The Zags may have gained a little ground by watching Saint Mary's lose its BracketBuster game. They have won 12 of their last 14 overall.

Why seeded here?
Methinks the Bulldogs aren't losing the rest of the way.

May change because:
The rematch with Saint Mary's is at Kennel II.

Good Wins
RPI 1-25: N-Connecticut
RPI 26-50: @Saint Joseph's

Bad Losses
RPI 101-200: none
RPI 201+: none

btzag
02-25-2008, 12:15 PM
A six seed or better would be my hope for the zags going into the tourney. A six would set-up of course with an 11 seed and then if everything goes according to seeding you would face a 3 seed in the second round. If however the zags get a 7 seed they would face a 2 seed in the second round and that 8/9 range would land the 1 seed. I know it's a small difference but this should be a very competitive tourney and ANY edge is a help IMO.

Now just go and win out and the zags should make that six seed or higher a reality!

Gonzdb8
02-25-2008, 12:49 PM
Good Wins
RPI 1-25: N-Connecticut
RPI 26-50: @Saint Joseph's

hate to see that uconn came listed as an N. that was a tough road win.

pbriz
02-25-2008, 01:16 PM
I don't know if this is the answer to your question, but Lunardi says:

So if Lunardi doesn't think we are going to lose, then shouldn't we get the auto-bid? Perhaps a mistake on his part

Rubbadub
02-25-2008, 01:18 PM
If Zags win out, they aren't getting worse than a 6 seed.

Once and Future Zag
02-25-2008, 01:23 PM
So if Lunardi doesn't think we are going to lose, then shouldn't we get the auto-bid? Perhaps a mistake on his part

I believe he assigns the auto-bid to the highest RPI team in the case of 1st place tie, unless there's a clear 1st place team.

His bracketology is "if the season ended today" type, so projections for the rest of the year don't figure in too it too much.

FWIW I think I saw an extended explanation from him years ago on his methodology.

Reborn
02-25-2008, 02:19 PM
"So if Lunardi doesn't think we are going to lose, then shouldn't we get the auto-bid? Perhaps a mistake on his part."

Automatic bids go to conference champions. However, when a conference champ is rated higher then a lot of other conference champions then they get the higher seeds (as in Gonzaga's case, and other conference champs as well...UCLA, Texas, ect ect).

Zag4Hire
02-26-2008, 10:04 PM
A six seed is what I have been hoping for since mid-January. The 7,8,9,and 10 seeds are garbage spots, equivalent to being on the rail or furthest outside post in the Kentucky Derby. Not saying you can't win it but it just makes it more realistic if you have a good seed. At least this bozo just writes for a gambling site and not a legit site. Seriously, Gonzaga at #114 overall?!

http://www.covers.com/sports/power-ranking/ncaab-power-ranking.aspx

alaskazagnut
02-26-2008, 10:09 PM
That regardless of our seed, I hope we get into Memphis's bracket. If we get the dreaded 8-9 seed then we would play Memphis again. I want them before UCLA, Kansas, Tenn, or UNC.

Rubbadub
02-26-2008, 10:45 PM
I think you are quite possibly the only person alive that would make that statement. No offense or anything.

alaskazagnut
02-26-2008, 10:54 PM
What 1 seed would you most like to have to play?

Or anyone else for that matter? What 1 seed would you most want, assuming they will be one of the 5 mentioned, Memphis, UNC, Tenn, Kansas, or UCLA?

Rubbadub
02-26-2008, 10:59 PM
Between the potential number 1 seeds, i would like it to be Duke. Memphis is the very last team i would want it to be.

recordeditor
02-27-2008, 09:45 AM
I want another piece of Tennessee.

lothar98zag
02-27-2008, 10:09 AM
...At least this bozo just writes for a gambling site and not a legit site. Seriously, Gonzaga at #114 overall?!

http://www.covers.com/sports/power-ranking/ncaab-power-ranking.aspx
:lmao:

MJGoGaels
02-27-2008, 11:19 PM
A six seed is what I have been hoping for since mid-January. The 7,8,9,and 10 seeds are garbage spots, equivalent to being on the rail or furthest outside post in the Kentucky Derby. Not saying you can't win it but it just makes it more realistic if you have a good seed.

Villanova is the trivia answer: lowest seed #8 Villanova in 1985 in the modern era to win the national championship.

VinnyZag
02-27-2008, 11:27 PM
Between the potential number 1 seeds, i would like it to be Duke. Memphis is the very last team i would want it to be.

I'd rather see Memphis again than Carolina, UCLA or definitly Kansas. The Jayhawks are frightening, we might only score about 40 points on UCLA, and I doubt the Hansbrough-Heytvelt matchup would go as well for us this year as it did last year.