• Show
Clear All
  • Sacto
    Redshirt
    • Feb 2007

2 News items

Ray G. out at Utah

Fr.Ganz to be mens team Chaplain

As for placing chaplains in other varsity sports, Mike Roth, Gonzaga's athletic director, said the Jesuits will never force themselves into a situation because they want to be invited in and available on a personal level.

Efforts are under way to place a chaplain on the men's varsity basketball team as well. Fr. Rick Ganz, S.J., has met with Head Coach Mark Few and the players in preparation for becoming the team's first chaplain since 2002 when Rev. Tony Lehmann, S.J., died from leukemia.

• CDC84
    Super Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Re:

The news concerning Fr. Ganz is very welcome. I think enough time has passed since Fr. Tony's passing to where its appropriate to have another priest on the bench.

As for Ray....all I can say is that Salt Lake City is very hard to recruit to. Even the Fat Man, after he reached the national title game, couldn't manage to recruit the players to consistently make Utah into a top 25 team.

Comment

• BobZag
      Dark Lord of the Zag
      • Jan 2007

Kind of a bad news / good news thing.

Looking forward to having a Jesuit on the GU bench.
      The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Comment

• tobizag
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

Fr. Ganz is a fantastic man, and will be a great chaplain.
        sigpic

GU Class of '07

Comment

• Akzag
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

Wow ... and wow.

Poor Ray ... wonder what his defensive coaching philosophy is ... ?

And as far as the team chaplain, it's obvious nobody is rushing into a replacement position. I have faith that the right one will be chosen at the right time ....
          So many brackets, so little time.

Comment

• former1dog
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

Talk about Yin and Yang.

Very much in favor of a Jesuit on the bench.

I'm sure Ray will land on his feet, its sad and a little frustrating though.

Comment

• brasszag
              Professional Zag Fan
              • Feb 2007

As the article mentioned, I think there was some trepidation on the rest of the Jesuits to "fill the shoes" of Fr. Tony since he was such an integral and iconic figure for the mens basketball team.
              There's no such thing as "garbage time" - there's only the time to crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women.

That is what is best about being a Zag.

Comment

• DenDiegoZag
                Kennel Club
                • Feb 2007

After speaking about the chaplan issue with several Jesuits over the past 3 months or so, it was evident that this had been in the works for some time. As the article correctly pointed out, it was an issue among several members of the Jesuit community on campus who regularly attend games and maintain interest in the team where they felt that it might be time for a Jesuit to be asked to be chaplain. In fact, many of the Jesuits on campus follow the team quite closely and attend both home and even some away games. Fr. Ganz is a wonderful person, and he will be a great fit for the team. I am happy that this situation was handled with so much respect and reverence for the many years of dedicated service provided by Fr. Tony. GO ZAGS!
                Rolling down the street...with my mind on my Foo and my Foo on my mind...

Comment

• SpudDawg
                  Kennel Club Material
                  • Feb 2007

Ray G. to Santa Clara?

What do you think of that?

Comment

• lothar98zag
                    PostPadder General
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by SpudDawg View Post
                    What do you think of that?
                    The GU staff would hate that!

From what I've read - Few & Ray G are really good freinds and Few also thinks Ray G is an amazing coach. I don't think Few liked playing EWU when he was the coach.
                    youtube - "The Runner"

Foo Fantasy Football Champ 2013

Dumbing down the internet, one post at a time

Foo Fantasy Football Champ 2011

Comment

• ZagManFan
                      Professional Zag Fan
                      • Feb 2007

Giacoletti Forced out in Utah!

Get NCAA Men's College Basketball news, scores, stats, poll rankings & more for your favorite college teams and players -- plus watch highlights and live games! All on FoxSports.com.

Comment

• CDC84
                        Super Moderator
                        • Feb 2007

re:

The A.D. at Utah is now vehemently denying that Ray was forced out....that he just "retired" on his own.

Comment

• 2Zags3Pups
                          Bulldog Fan
                          • Feb 2007

How many coaches resign and still get a buyout? Plus, having him sign a confidentiality agreement? Hill sounds like an arrogant S.O.B. Not taking any responsibility.
                          2Zags4Pups

Comment

• RenoZag
                            Super Moderator
                            • Feb 2007

If Grier or Rice left, might Ray G. work as Asst. Head Coach w/ Few ?

Or is that just way too far fetched ?
                            The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Comment

• gamagin
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2007

Zags3Pups

Zags3Pups: How many coaches resign and still get a buyout? Plus, having him sign a confidentiality agreement? Hill sounds like an arrogant S.O.B. Not taking any responsibility.
                              --

my guess is there was a buyout provision. how else could UT get RG, or anyone, to sign long term deal and then make him go away ?
                              Go TEAM Zags !

"John Stockton is one of the true marvels, not just of basketball, or in America, but in the history of Western Civilization!”
                              Tom Hammond: “Wow, that’s a pretty strong statement. I guess I don’t have a good handle on world history.”
                              Bill: “Well Tom, that’s because you didn’t go to UCLA." - Bill Walton

Comment

Working...
                              X