PDA

View Full Version : Zags/WCC Just Can't Get a Break

McZag
02-24-2008, 06:47 AM
St. Mary's had it teed-up. A legit conference leader coming into their gym on bracket-buster weekend. They had a chance to legiitimatize their ranking and show the NCAA committee that they they deserve an at-large bid if needed.

GU had a chance to play a SMC team possibly twice more with the Gaels reputation at 100%.

Neither happeneded Sat. night.

This league will not get the credit it deserves nor turn the heads of a national audience unless teams outside of Spokane man-up and win top match-up games. Period.

Where were the "Beat the Golden Flashes" T-shirts? Anyone? Did everyone in Moraga not know that THAT was their biggest game of the season to date? THAT game would give solid affirmation of their schedule? THAT game was their ace in the whole for an at-large bid and a great seed? Is Moraga that blind?

You have a great team on your court. Make the T-shirts. Get the win. You can beat the Zags on your court all you want but it will never be enough. You have to bring that emotion to your gym every night.

This league HAS to improve and it starts with beating NON-CONFERENCE opponents.

Thanks for letting me vent.

Bing
02-24-2008, 07:17 AM
Tee'd up to do some good things and they really fell flat. They have a difficult game at home against Bill Grier's Toreros on Monday (USD has already beat them). Then they head north to play the Bulldogs.

There's a chance they could head in to Portland with a 3 game losing streak.

Even if they get by USD, I really like GU's chances on Saturday. If GU beats them that would give SMC a 5-4 road record (incl. WCC conference games).

One decent outcome would be to shut up their resident blowhard -- the sanctimonious moron-gyrl from moron-ga. What a troll.

By the way --I also noticed a full crowd that wasn't wearing "Beat the Zags" T shirts.

Rangerzag
02-24-2008, 07:34 AM
St. Mary's had it teed-up. A legit conference leader coming into their gym on bracket-buster weekend. They had a chance to legiitimatize their ranking and show the NCAA committee that they they deserve an at-large bid if needed.
This league will not get the credit it deserves nor turn the heads of a national audience unless teams outside of Spokane man-up and win top match-up games. Period.
This league HAS to improve and it starts with beating NON-CONFERENCE opponents.

:agreed:

Particularly when the OOC team comes to the WCC home court!

VinnyZag
02-24-2008, 11:56 AM
That St. Mary's-Kent game might have gone differently if Samhan doesn't have to leave the game. It was clear that they were intent on pounding the ball in to him.
I do think that St. Mary's Achilles heel was exposed a little bit: They can't stop dribble penetration. Specifically Mills, who has a chance to be a great player but doesn't seem to know how to defend. Every time I see them, somebody (Johnson, Pargo, Kent's guy last night) is torching him.

alaskazagnut
02-24-2008, 12:49 PM
The Kent St. game was not their biggest game to date. I think beating Gonzaga in Morraga was bigger than beating Kent St in Moraga.

CDC84
02-24-2008, 01:22 PM
In all fairness, SMC did beat Drake earlier this season. Drake is better than Kent State. Not too many teams could do what Drake did yesterday...walk right into Hinkle Fieldhouse and beat Butler on their homecourt.

McZag
02-24-2008, 01:57 PM
The Kent St. game was not their biggest game to date. I think beating Gonzaga in Morraga was bigger than beating Kent St in Moraga.

Point well taken Alaska. True that a win against GU does count for more than a win against Kent St. But the Gaels will get at least 2 if not 3 shots at beating the Zags this season. Plenty of chances to take a game from Few and Co.

SMC was given the chance to host a Bracket Buster game without ever BUSTING a bracket. No Sweet 16's, No tournament wins, barely any tournament births. Those games are TV gimmees given to potentially solid teams to prove to the committee and others that they deserve an at large bid. One chance and one only. There may not be another Bracket Buster in the WCC next year let lone Moraga.

I was so excited to see that they had this game in late February and just wanted them to win - for themselves and for the good of the conference.

zagzilla
02-24-2008, 03:06 PM
SMC will probably drop 2 more :D along the way before selection Sunday. Assuming they do and that they need an at large, I think they probably drop to a 12 seed or so.

Also when the SMC's profile for the season was shown, the Zags were not listed as one of their good wins but Seton Hall and Fresno State were. When did we stop being a good win?

dim4sum
02-24-2008, 03:25 PM
These so-called bracket busters in the middle of league play are a big time distraction. Were the Gaels thinking ahead to their games against San Diego and the Zags??? You bet your keboopy.

SunDevilGolfZag
02-24-2008, 04:26 PM
These so-called bracket busters in the middle of league play are a big time distraction. Were the Gaels thinking ahead to their games against San Diego and the Zags??? You bet your keboopy.

Agreed + it really sucks to be a "bracketbustee," both for a team and their conference. :(

EngineerZag
02-24-2008, 04:34 PM
I agree that losing Samhan was a huge deal. They won the first half by 2 with him (most of the time) and lost the second half by 10 without him.

MickMick
02-24-2008, 08:13 PM
I am one of the few that frequent this board that prefers the 7 dwarf scenario.

Does anyone really think that the WCC will ever get respect? Take a look at Memphis and Conference USA. Top to bottom, that conference is better than the WCC, yet the BCS fans will never give that conference respect and always diminish Memphis because of it. Do you think Gonzaga is going to fare better?

Zags get a little notoriety because of their OOC schedule, but they disappear nationally once conference play begins. That is fine with me. As far as I'm concerned, they can represent the conference in post season ...solo...until eternity.

I am quite content with SCU's self destruct last season and the possible repeat scenario for SMC this season. As far as injurys go...all teams get them. Zags played their tough OOC with injurys. Josh's foot, Gray's hand, Pargo's back. We lost a highly touted player because his father became ill. That is the way it goes. SMC doesn't need the injury excuse. They need to get through it....just like the Zags have had to.

Some one will bring up the word seeding as a reason for needing a competitive conference. Seeding is overrated. One win against a #1 or #2 and you take the "easy street" that they once had. Further, that "easy street" disappears for everyone by the third round anyways. Matchups and tempo are much more important than seeding.

Edit:

I am a little ticked with many of the other WCC fans. The complaining about the Zags "one and done" lately. As if the Zags are undeserving of the bid. Just think what another WCC team would do in the post season.

It really is "easy". Just win the WCC tournament. Just do what the T-shirt says. "Beat the Zags". But beat them in the game that matters. The game that gets you the automatic bid. Otherwise prepare to be caught up in the "bubble" talk.

You know why a lot of BCS fans like the Zags? Because they take care of business. They don't "steal" that at large bid from a middlin BCS team. They win the conference tournament and take their rightful spot. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe there was only one "at large" bid for the Zags in their string of seven consecutive NCAA tournament appearances. Heck if you can't win the WCC tournament, what do you think you are going to do at the big dance? You won't see me complain if the Zags don't get an at large bid. For me, the NCAA tourney starts in San Diego.

gamagin
02-25-2008, 06:49 AM
spot on.

Colbyspapa
02-25-2008, 08:44 AM

I didn't feel like our Memphis game was a distraction. Did you? I love breaking up the league schedule to get a shot at a respected, high-quality OOC game. Plus it prepares our players to play on a national stage against a team that they don't know all the players or the offense and defensive schemes.

pbriz
02-25-2008, 09:07 AM
I didn't feel like our Memphis game was a distraction. Did you? I love breaking up the league schedule to get a shot at a respected, high-quality OOC game. Plus it prepares our players to play on a national stage against a team that they don't know all the players or the offense and defensive schemes.

good point. And these ooc games reflect more of a tournament-type game instead of another conference game.

CDC84
02-25-2008, 09:14 AM

There is a distinct difference between playing the #1 team in the nation (Memphis) and facing a team from the Mid American Conference late in the season. That game meant much more to Kent State in terms of their at large hopes that it did to SMC. It was almost a must win for them.

I really don't know how much the Gaels would've gained by beating the Golden Flashes. Maybe a little bit, but not close to what Gonzaga would've gained by knocking off Memphis. Then again, Gonzaga's purpose in playing Memphis during league play goes well beyond the chance to pickup a big time win. It's also meant to reacquaint themselves with how it feels to play an elite team with big time athletes.

Colbyspapa
02-25-2008, 01:07 PM
I understand the difference CDC, however if you think back to the first ever bracket buster, we were the marque game against another what the press calls Midmajor. St. Mary's is in that spot now and should have been able to get up for a nationally televised game in their gym. Kent State was something that helps their RPI (Top 50 win if they could have pulled it off) and should never have been a distraction from their goal of getting to the Dance. I fully believe they had a lot to gain. It would have been another quality win on their resume to stick next to Drake and Oregon.

I am sure we knew Memphis would be an Elite when we scheduled them, but to say they knew we would be playing the #1 team in the Nation is a stretch. Bracketbuster gave the Gaels a shot at a tournament style game against a tourney bound competitor.

McZag
02-25-2008, 01:58 PM
Kent State was something that helps their RPI (Top 50 win if they could have pulled it off) and should never have been a distraction from their goal of getting to the Dance. I fully believe they had a lot to gain. It would have been another quality win on their resume to stick next to Drake and Oregon.

Well Said.

23dpg
02-25-2008, 04:05 PM
I was very disappointed that SMC lost that game. I thought they had it but let KS back in.

On a side note, did anyone else notice how physical the refs let that game get? I liked it, more tourney like. I wish our game down there was called as such.

Zag By the Bay
02-25-2008, 04:17 PM
The loss to Kent State will either be a wake up call for SMU or the start of a downward slump.
The Zags have a played a solid OCC schedule and the benefits of all their hard work hopefully will pay off in the coming weeks.
The Zags are battled tested and are I believe are starting to peak just at the right time of year.
I think there is a chance that SMU can rally back and win the WCC, but they certainly showed kink in their armor and if they get to the NCAA's they will be in for rude awakeneing.
GU on the otherhand has been there (NCAA's) and I think will play with more of chip on their shoulders this year...At least I hope that they do.
Go Zags!

McZag
03-10-2008, 05:59 PM
Sorry Gang. Just have to get this off my chest. If SMC is snubbed on Sunday, they can look back to this opportunity.