http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/grant_wahl/02/12/memphis0218/

enjoy

Birddog
02-22-2008, 07:15 PM
Excellent read Lothar.

Birddog
02-23-2008, 04:24 PM
This part bothered me.

During the three weeks before his resignation, Walberg says, he slept no more than 2 1/2 hours on any night. Why wouldn't his players commit all the way like he had? "It just became really tough," Walberg says, struggling for words. "My wife and kids, we talked and talked. It was like a big part of my life was being taken out of me. I love coaching so much. You can't imagine not getting your players to buy in. They weren't bad kids, but I just couldn't get 'em over the line."

So the players didn't "buy in" and he quit on them. Something's not right about that. Perhaps there is MORE to the story.

CDC84
02-26-2008, 01:03 PM
Part of the problem is the very fact that he was sleeping 2.5 hours a night due to his workaholism. My experience has been that anyone who gets that little sleep is a pain in the neck to work with the next day. They're grumpy, tired and impatient....all things that a very young team that's learning a new system doesn't need to see out of its head coach.

One of the great things about Gonzaga's staff is that they have balance in their lives. Yes, they work hard, but they also know when to sign off. Coaches who overwork themselves lose perspective on their team, and they also lose the ability to think quickly on their feet. It's also not good for one's health.