PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else feel like Dana Oneill doesn't know very much?

pbriz
02-22-2008, 01:46 PM
ESPN has hired Dana Oneill and during her chat wrap today she seems as if she really doesn't know much more than a typical die hard college bball fan. Bilas, Katz, Lunardi really know their stuff and it shows, and I won't even start in on Kyle Whelliston-he is an encyclopedia but Dana Oneill really just isn't at that level. Atleast she knows more than Dick Vitale who can't grasp anything other than ACC basketball and the top ten freshmen each year.

BobZag
02-22-2008, 02:03 PM
She knows Philly real well. I like her. I think she'll get better, she is the newest kid on the block. Give her time.

sdzag
02-22-2008, 02:06 PM
I don't really like her, but I like the old faithfuls on ESPN.

btzag
02-22-2008, 05:09 PM
I've seen her a few times on halftime shows and she has done a decent job. Needs to understand though that the other analysts are going to have their opinions and you aren't going to change them. Just offer yours and hopefully fans/viewers will agree or believe. You're not going to change the mind of experienced talking heads like Bilas, etc!

Reborn
02-24-2008, 12:03 PM
I like her. Adds a new dimension, as well as flavor to what can (at times) be the same ol same ol kinds of commentary. Change really seems to be in the air, and I think it's a good thing.

cbbfanatic
02-24-2008, 02:09 PM
i'm a huge fan of DPO, i think she does a great job really getting a feel for what she covers, and if she hasnt been up to snuff so far with espn (not my opinion) she will be.

she always struck me as the type that doesnt write the same old tired formulaic stories, which seems to be the norm in sports journalism these days.

Law Zag In Training
02-24-2008, 03:25 PM
I think one reason why people are not very taken with her yet is because she has yet to really develop her own image. She's the new kid and as a result has been fairly conservative as far as her opinions and expessing her personality. I think once she gets more comfortable in with her position she'll provide a little bit more on her chats and on TV. To be honest, all chats go like this:
"X: who wins ___ v. ___? or What seed is ____ get? How good is ____ team/player

Analyst: I think _____"

The majority of the time the answer is just an opinion of what the analyst thinks. Every once and a while someone like Katz, Chad Forde etc. will give some kind of "insider information." Of course analysts will have different opinions, but it is their reasoning and style that people are attracted to. Bilas is fairly technical, Thorpe is short and to the point, Gottlieb tries endlessly to rattle cages... I will reserve my final judgment on Dana once gets more comfortable and starts injecting some personality/witt/insider info. Until then, i expect cookie cutter opinion answers.