PDA

View Full Version : Ronny's Prospects as a Restricted Free Agent

ZagNative
02-22-2008, 01:09 PM
There has been so much good buzz about Ronny in recent months, so I'm wondering what the timing is on him signing a new contract and what kind of loot he might be looking at.

Today, Hoopsworld (http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=7540) has a story about rumors around the NBA about transactions:

What a trade season! It seemed like a record year for blockbusters. Now it's time to pick up the pieces and figure out where teams go from here. The next deadline to note is the end of day, February 27th by which players need to be cut in order to be eligible to join another for the postseason. The technical cut-off is March 1st but it takes 48 hours to clear waivers.

Teams like the Boston Celtics will have their eye on players like Sam Cassell or Tyronn Lue - with the (perhaps unlikely) hope that they'll be cut loose. Other players who would draw interest would be Theo Ratliff and even Kwame Brown.

While some teams made deals to win now, others positioned themselves for the future with an eye on the salary cap. Here's a team by-team breakdown post-trade deadline - with the assumption that next year's salary cap will fall at roughly $58.1 million:

Los Angeles Lakers: The Lakers weren't active at the deadline having made the big move for Pau Gasol. The hope is that Lamar Odom will finally blossom without the "second option" burden on his shoulders. If Odom struggles this postseason, he could be on the move this summer for a traditional small forward with a steady outside shot - but the hope is that they have a long term core in place. LA has two restricted free agents that they would like to keep in Ronny Turiaf and Sasha Vujacic.
As I understand restricted free agency (and my understanding is shaky at best), the team makes an offer, and if the player wants to, he can shop around for a better deal, but the team has an option, a right of first refusal, where they can match the offer or come within at least ten percent of it.

Does that sound right?

Here's What HoopsHype.com shows for the salaries of Laker players: Link (http://hoopshype.com/salaries/la_lakers.htm)

So, any speculation here about what kind of salary bump the former Mayor of Spokane might expect? And does anyone have a good handle on the timing - when we'll know how it shakes out?

Rubbadub
02-22-2008, 01:17 PM
Ronny will be playing for a lot more than $700,000 next year...somewhere. Nothing else is particularly clear at this point, other than that the Lakers would really like to keep him around. I don't know anything about his loyalty to the Lakers, but if I where him I'd look for a trade. The addition of Gasol effectivelty demolished his playing time--which was already on it's way down once Bynum began rounding into a force. I'd get out of town quick before my trade stock went down too far.

ZagMan in Philly
02-22-2008, 01:25 PM
Ronny will be playing for a lot more than $700,000 next year...somewhere. Nothing else is particularly clear at this point, other than that the Lakers would really like to keep him around. I don't know anything about his loyalty to the Lakers, but if I where him I'd look for a trade. The addition of Gasol effectivelty demolished his playing time--which was already on it's way down once Bynum began rounding into a force. I'd get out of town quick before my trade stock went down too far.

You are right rubbadub, Ronny can start for some NBA teams or at least coming off the bench for a lot of minutes than what he is doing with the Lakers right now. I watched him the last game vs Phoenix, he contributed greatly although only played for about 13 minutes. And he went toe to toe with Shaq and not backing down.

He may have some loyalty to the Lakers, since they stood by him when he was going through with his heart surgery. It will be interesting.

Here is some of my understanding on free agents in the NBA:
NBA free agents are players not signed to a contract. They're jobless. Unrestricted NBA free agents can sign with any team that offers them a valid contract. But restricted free agents, if they sign with a new team, sign an "offer sheet," and their previous team can choose to match that contract (thus keeping the player) or to let the player leave -- in which case the offer sheet becomes a signed contract and done deal.

Once and Future Zag
02-22-2008, 01:26 PM
Given what we know of Ronny's character, and given that the Lakers stuck with him and showed him that they valued him by paying for his surgery... I think he feels a loyalty to them that may supercede the absolute top dollar paycheck.

sonuvazag
02-22-2008, 01:38 PM
Also, Kobe, who plays a big role in Lakers' morale really likes Ronny. That might factor in, also.

ZagNative
02-22-2008, 01:42 PM
I think it would sadden him greatly to leave the Lakers. Just can't see him doing it, and I think the Lakers really do want to keep him. The best PR for an NBA team is winning, but Ronny Turiaf is a close second.

DoggieDogpound
02-22-2008, 03:26 PM
I think it would sadden him greatly to leave the Lakers. Just can't see him doing it, and I think the Lakers really do want to keep him. The best PR for an NBA team is winning, but Ronny Turiaf is a close second.

I agree.

I think the Lakers will take care of him - Phil Jackson values him as a key component off his bench.
I bet if Chick Hearn was still alive and announcing the games he would have a metaphor or two to describe Ronny's play.

BBskorer
02-22-2008, 03:27 PM
The loyalty points are all valid, but I tend to lean toward...
The addition of Gasol effectivelty demolished his playing time--which was already on it's way down once Bynum began rounding into a force. I'd get out of town quick before my trade stock went down too far.Since the Gasol trade, Ronny's around 13 min per (down from about 18). Next year, with Gasol and Bynum, the PT is basically gone. Heck, if Odom stays, they'd probably just slide him from the 3 to the 4 whenever Pau/'drew needs a breather.

If L.A. doesn't work out, I'd love to see Ronny somehow end up with Golden State. They are the best show, playing in front of the loudest fans, in the NBA. And they could use a guy like Ronny. I've seen times when Al Harrington is their 5! Granted, that's not all odd, considering their style. Still, you gotta have a basket-protector on D, and Biedrins is currently their only player that resembles.

Ronny. The warrior. As a Warrior. It works.

http://img359.imageshack.us/img359/4879/turiafbraveheartclublakers9ja.jpg

Except he ain't blockin' any shots with those arms!

CDC84
02-22-2008, 04:02 PM
There is an argument to be made for keeping on with the Lakers for the next few years in hopes of winning a championship or two. That way he could go to a struggling franchise for more PT (and maybe more pay), but have a couple of rings for his trophy case at home in case his new team ultimately doesn't succeed in their quest to win a title. I guess he needs to weigh that against the possibility that his stock might drop if he stays with the Lakers and keeps seeing his PT drop.

ZagNative
02-22-2008, 04:26 PM
So, nobody cares to speculate at what Ronny could realistically expect to earn? I ask because some place I saw $5 mil mentioned, maybe on this board. The article I linked above shows the Lakers with a current salary burden for 08-09 of $75,330,112. The cap, per the Hoopsworld article, is expected to be $58.1 mil. Over that, I gather they get into luxury taxes. Looking at what some other pretty good players are making on that list and the salary cap, I have a hard time seeing how the Lakers could pay him that much ($5 mil). Am I missing something?

ZagMan in Philly
02-22-2008, 04:48 PM
5 million a year is kinda high according to this chart. I would think he will make around 2.50 mil for the 4th year..just a guess.

http://www.nbpa.com/cba_exhibits/exhibitB.php

MedZag
02-22-2008, 05:35 PM
Just a gut feeling from knowing him, but I think Ronny would take a pretty decent amount less to stay with the Lakers. He's been smart with his money so far and will continue to be in the future, and I know he definitely feels loyalty to the Lakers organization with his heart surgery.

ZagNut08
02-22-2008, 06:57 PM
Some reasons he will stay with LA:
1) PT is not too bad. He has the talent to play more, but with his fouling, he simply cannot put up more than 20mpg consistently without fouling out. So, he comes in and does a great job, but doesnt get fans/coaches/gms mad about fouling out when they truely need him on the court
2) he love the guys on the team, and kobe loves him....lakers will do what it takes to have kobe remain happy
3) they were so loyal to him through his surgery, and paid for an operation that he would not have been able to (possibly saving his life/giving him the ability to play bball again)

ZagNative
02-22-2008, 07:07 PM
Ronny and the Lakers are such a great story. Could he have imagined, when he played for the Zags, that he'd end up where he is now? Playing for and loved by the lakers, Kobe Bryant's little brother, the heart of the team, a guy who humanizes a team a lot of folks love to hate?

gamagin
02-22-2008, 07:22 PM
Yes, it's a matter of a known entity vs. an unknown.

If they (key players and coaches) want him, they will pay him what it takes to keep him. $5 M looks like a near medium on that roster.

the alternative is to "guess" and perhaps even pay more for an unknown, perhaps higher profile guy, but who may or may not be instantly accepted or blend in. all imo.

Rubbadub
02-22-2008, 07:57 PM
Some reasons he will stay with LA:
1) PT is not too bad. He has the talent to play more, but with his fouling, he simply cannot put up more than 20mpg consistently without fouling out. So, he comes in and does a great job, but doesnt get fans/coaches/gms mad about fouling out when they truely need him on the court
2) he love the guys on the team, and kobe loves him....lakers will do what it takes to have kobe remain happy
3) they were so loyal to him through his surgery, and paid for an operation that he would not have been able to (possibly saving his life/giving him the ability to play bball again)

I don't know where you're getting 20 minutes a game from. It's already been said in this thread that since Pao got there, he's only playing 13 minutes a game and it's going to go much farther down once Bynum is back. There are teams in the NBA he could start for...and instead he's in LA making far less than he's worth. If they feel so much loyalty to him, they'll pay him what he deserves. I don't really see that happening though--not for someone who they'll only play (at most) 8 or 9 minutes a game when Bynum comes back.

ZagNut08
02-22-2008, 08:30 PM
what I meant by that is that he can't command 20+ minutes per game (starter minutes) because he will foul out if he plays that many minutes. He has the occasional game where he doesn't rack up the fouls, but on avg, he has not shown that he can play a significant amt of a game without getting in serious foul trouble.

I agree with the sentiments about wanting ronny to get the chance to "shine." At the same time, as a lakers fan, I want him to stay in purple and gold

ZagNut08
02-22-2008, 08:32 PM
Also, look at the contracts they have given to their past two free agents who were good role guys. Luke walton got a 5+mil deal. I am looking for him to get a brian cook type deal. 3.5 per for 4 years.

BobZag
02-23-2008, 10:15 AM
If Ronny really wanted it, he could get 5 mil a year. But I think ZN08 is about right at 3.5 mil and stay with the Lakers. Either way, he'll be a rich dude.

Rubbadub
02-23-2008, 10:59 AM
Ronny's averaging more than 7 minutes per foul committed, and that number is getting better and better as he gets more used to pro athletes and the way NBA refs call games.. Ronny's lack of PT is not because of his fouls.

zagsfanforlife
02-23-2008, 11:19 AM
As an avid watcher of Laker's games I can make a good guess that Ronny will stay with the Lakers when he becomes a free agent. He always seems like he loves being a part of that team, and actually seems to be close with Kobe (believe it or not). The team can offer him about three and a half to four million, which I believe is enough for Ronny to stay in LA. It's funny because I have seen him in restaurants, Target and Costco in the past year. He is always with a young lady and what seems to be his mom. I always walk by him and say "GO Zags". But back to the post, I definately believe he will be back. I sure hope so. Being able to watch him, Dickau, and Frahm earlier in the season was a dream come true here in L.A..

rawkmandale
02-23-2008, 11:49 AM
Being in LA, he gets to go to an occassional Zags game in SC. Of course, if with the Warriors, he'd get to do that too. Then, there is Portland. Too bad the Sonics are goners.

I'd hate to see him back east.

IrishZag
02-23-2008, 12:31 PM
Ronny has done a great job carving out a role in the Lakers system as an energy player. The acquisition of Pau and the return of Odom from injury has reduced his minutes slightly but he will still find minutes on that team because he has been such an integral player for that team on and off the court.

Rub, you keep on saying Ronny can be a starter on some NBA teams. I am running through all the teams in the NBA, particularly the weaker teams and I can't think of one team that Ronny would be a clear cut starter. In the NBA Ronny is a archtypical backup post player. Defensively is slighly undersized but athletic enough to defend solid post players and commit 6 fouls a game. Offensively, he can run the floor and get you some hustle points, but he can't really create his own shot.

Take a look at the 5 worst teams in the league, Ronny wouldn't start over any of these guys
Miami - Udonis Haslem
Minnesota: Al Jefferson
Seattle - Chris Wilcox
Memphis - Darko/Kwame - (You could argue it, but he was not starting over Kwame in LA)
New York - Zach Randolph

ZagMan in Philly
02-23-2008, 12:43 PM
Ronny has done a great job carving out a role in the Lakers system as an energy player. The acquisition of Pau and the return of Odom from injury has reduced his minutes slightly but he will still find minutes on that team because he has been such an integral player for that team on and off the court.

Rub, you keep on saying Ronny can be a starter on some NBA teams. I am running through all the teams in the NBA, particularly the weaker teams and I can't think of one team that Ronny would be a clear cut starter. In the NBA Ronny is a archtypical backup post player. Defensively is slighly undersized but athletic enough to defend solid post players and commit 6 fouls a game. Offensively, he can run the floor and get you some hustle points, but he can't really create his own shot.

Take a look at the 5 worst teams in the league, Ronny wouldn't start over any of these guys
Miami - Udonis Haslem
Seattle - Chris Wilcox
Memphis - Darko/Kwame - (You could argue it, but he was not starting over Kwame in LA)
New York - Zach Randolph

The Sixers could certainly use Ronny as a starter.
he is better than what they got right now.
I certainly will go to more Sixers game if Ronny is playing here.

Rubbadub
02-23-2008, 01:47 PM

Miami - Udonis Haslem
Seattle - Chris Wilcox
New York - Zach Randolph

How many times do I have to say that his minutes are not being reduced slightly by Pau and Bynum before you people will stop saying that? Before Pau got there and after Bynum got injured, he was playing 20 minutes more a game and doing very well. The puny number of minutes a game he's playing now will go down MUCH further once Bynum gets back. He's only playing 12-13 minutes now and that will be in the single digits once Bynum gets back. If you're fine with Ronny only playing that much just so you get to watch his games, go ahead. :mad:

I said in one post that he could be a starter somewhere--and I still stand by that. It doesn't even have to be one of the worst teams in the league. I could name several terrible players on the Celtics who get more pt than Ronny...who Ronny would just straight dominate one on one.

ZagNut08
02-28-2008, 08:59 AM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=t80gVmrK_j0

Here is his dunk from a few nights ago

Lakers will be on TNT tonight at 730 pacific taking on the heat if you wanna watch ronny

zagfan07
02-28-2008, 09:27 AM
I hope he leaves after this season so I can start hating the Lakers again. It's really messing with my bay area sports fan ties.

If he does leave, where do you think he would be the best fit? He's got such great energy, I could see him on almost every team in the NBA. Everyone loves a glue-guy.

Rubbadub
02-28-2008, 09:39 AM
Celtics? Look at their roster...it's perfect for him.

PS- Chad Ford has Ronny as the 14th best free agent of the '08 off season.

LoveMyZags
02-28-2008, 09:52 AM
I hope he leaves after this season so I can start hating the Lakers again. It's really messing with my bay area sports fan ties.

If he does leave, where do you think he would be the best fit? He's got such great energy, I could see him on almost every team in the NBA. Everyone loves a glue-guy.

I totally agree zagfan07..as a bay area native and hater of all thing Los Angeles, Ronny being there is making me a fan of the Lakers. Saying that is almost like saying I am starting to like the Yankees...blech!

As for best fit? bring him up here baby! The Bay would love to have a guy like that to cheer for! Actually, I really have no idea, I am a major fringe fan of the NBA and don't know much about it! I would definitely attend Warriors games if he was there though!:)

Zagpower
02-28-2008, 11:11 AM
One thing we all know about Ronny is he's a huge asset in the lockerroom and community. That guy should always bring in more interest from teams than his hoops skills alone command. He'll be a bargain for any franchise.

Zagpower
02-28-2008, 11:27 AM
http://www.tmz.com/2008/02/27/laker-forward-gets-swat-down-at-villa/

ZagNut08
02-28-2008, 12:25 PM
gotta make those reservations ronny

Vanzagger
02-28-2008, 06:55 PM
At least I did at the Wolf Lodge once. They would not even cook me a steak to go. what a cool dude!

RenoZag
02-28-2008, 07:10 PM
I don't follow NBA hoops, so can anyone venture an opinion on the chances of Ronny playing along side Tony Parker & Co. ??

ZagNut08
02-28-2008, 07:46 PM
Eh, the spurs will be $12,000 under the cap at the end of the season, with only eight players signed past the end of this season. Who knows who they will try and keep on their team. They seem to have a lot of veterans or young players, not many in between that are going to be free agents.

So to answer your question, they may look for some help inside, and I guess there could be a shot at it. Of course, he would likely rather stay with the lakers after they win it all this year

Rubbadub
02-28-2008, 09:23 PM
Lakers are playing Heat right now...

I've said it before and I'll say it again-there's no reason Walton should be playing more minutes than Ronny. Ronny has a knack for blocks, rebounds and being in the right spot to throw down vicious dunks (and usually mid range jumpers too, but not tonight). Walton brings none of that, is the cause of a lot of to's and passes up multiple three point attempts each game.

Rubbadub
02-28-2008, 09:47 PM
A couple beautiful blocks in a row by Ronny.

"He's a shot blocking machine!"

ZagNut08
02-28-2008, 10:06 PM
Rub, agree with you...I don't like the walton over ronny nod by phil

ZagNut08
02-28-2008, 10:15 PM
Finishes with :
7 pts
12 rb
3 blk
in 24 min
only 4 fouls

Rubbadub
02-28-2008, 10:25 PM
Finishes with :
7 pts
12 rb
3 blk
in 24 min
only 4 fouls

I'll add that, as the announcers said, "he did a lot of things that won't show up in the stats."

He might have only had 3 official blocks, but he did a whole lot under the rim on defense, as well as facilitating the offense during press situations and half court sets.