PDA

View Full Version : Meehan on Class, Practice, and Pargo

ZagNative
02-22-2008, 10:54 AM
Our friend at the GU Blog desk (http://www.spokesmanreview.com/blogs/sportslink/archive/?postID=7210) digs up some more good stuff (my faves bolded):

After an early morning arrival (5 a.m. Tuesday) from San Diego, Gonzaga took Tuesday and Wednesday off from practice. Tuesday is the team's regularly scheduled off day.

"We got in so late Monday night (actually Tuesday morning), and they were at class early Tuesday," coach Mark Few said. "They're tired. We need rest right now."

On Wednesday, players shot for a while, played some one-on-one, worked on individual moves and post moves, etc.

"It's very nice (not practicing for two days)," Pargo said. "Every guy has been down here and got reps on shots and some conditioning in. That shows how dedicated some of these guys are to this team."

And then there's Robert Sacre. The 7-foot freshman was dripping wet and still working on post moves about 90 minutes after media obligations were over.

"The guy is in here after games," Pargo said. "You can't help as a coach but to give him opportunities when you see a guy working as hard as he does. He's going to be a great guy and a great player for this program, with his work ethic."

By the way, Pargo made his first class Tuesday morning at 9:30. "I went to sleep (before class) - as much I could," he said.
Pargo! What a leader! Gets home at 5:00 a.m. and is in class at 9:30. The glamorous life of a student-athlete. And he's giving props and support to the young freshman.

"We have to take care of business, though," Few said. "If you'd asked me at this point, first place in league with two weeks to go, that's where you want to be. We're going to have to play really well to stay there, but that's certainly something we're capable of doing."

Added Pargo: "We have a great chance to come out on top and win this conference. We have two of the teams that played us the toughest (Santa Clara and Saint Mary's) coming to our home floor in two weeks and we have to go to a pretty good Portland team this week. We're going to try to get these three done and hopefully come into the conference tournament with great momentum."

--Pargo was asked how much he pays attention to NCAA tournament chatter: projections, bubble watch, RPIs, etc.

"I actually looked at Bracketology for the first time in my career a couple days ago," he said.

Asked why he didn't scan the site more often, Pargo shrugged, "There's nothing you can do about it but play basketball and win games."

Were the Zags listed on the brackets? "I think they had us as a nine (seed)," Pargo said.
Read the rest of Jim's blog here (http://www.spokesmanreview.com/blogs/sportslink/archive/?postID=7210).

sdzag
02-22-2008, 11:17 AM
Love to hear that about Big Rob!

ZagNative
02-22-2008, 11:21 AM
Totally unrelated, I find an excuse to rummage through my photo drawer to come up with a great pic of a guy who has turned out to be such a gem for GU basketball - He dances, he dishes about other players, he drives, he splits defenders, he dives for loose balls, and .... dang! He dunks!

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Zags/Pargo/2008-02-09Jeremypepperdinedunks.jpg

(Second half v. Pepperdine at the MAC, Feb. 9, 2008)

cjm720
02-22-2008, 12:59 PM
Great info. Stoked to hear about Sacre's work ethic...

sonuvazag
02-22-2008, 01:06 PM
Great info. Stoked to hear about Sacre's work ethic...
No doubt. If he works on it that much now, at some point he's going to be awesome.

ZagNative
02-22-2008, 01:16 PM
Big Rob deserves a pic post as well, here shown fired up, running through the gauntlet to start the game against Pepp Feb. 9, 2008:

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Zags/Sacre/2008-02-09SacrePepperdinerunsout.jpg

sutterstreet
02-22-2008, 03:22 PM
there have been several games this seasons where coach few started sacre, but didn't play him for more than 2-3 minutes total. i guess few must have been rewarding sacre's work ethic?

MedZag
02-22-2008, 04:37 PM
there have been several games this seasons where coach few started sacre, but didn't play him for more than 2-3 minutes total. i guess few must have been rewarding sacre's work ethic?

*sigh*

Great bites from Pargo. Hell I hope he's around next year just for his personality, let alone what he does on the court.

azzagfan
02-22-2008, 06:15 PM
Added Pargo: "We have a great chance to come out on top and win this conference. We have two of the teams that played us the toughest (Santa Clara and Saint Mary's) coming to our home floor in two weeks and we have to go to a pretty good Portland team this week. We're going to try to get these three done and hopefully come into the conference tournament with great momentum."

Is Pargo confused with the University of Portland and Portland State this year? Just a question...

sonuvazag
02-22-2008, 06:43 PM
Is Pargo confused with the University of Portland and Portland State this year? Just a question...
haha.
I'm just glad he knows his cliches.

Reborn
02-23-2008, 11:00 AM
Loved the article and pics ZN. Thanks for the good reading this morning, on a day that I miss the Zags. Pics and good articles help.