PDA

View Full Version : I am SOOOO glad to be a Zag fan....

ZagManFan
03-02-2007, 08:16 AM
this morning. As many of you know I went down to Pullman to watch and cheer for the Cougs last night against UCLA. I thought with the possible PAC-10 title to play for and #2 UCLA in town that the Beasley Center would be rocking last night. Boy, did I get a rude awakening. Not only was the place dead for pretty much the whole night, but the sound system sucks and the band has no idea what to play during timeouts. So let's start from the beginning shall we....

1st off, during the UCLA player introductions, some people in my section were shouting profanities that should shame the whole school. We sat in the nose bleed section and these people are yelling stuff I have never said to my worse enemy. If my kid was there last night I would have punched a guy last night. Very poor sportsmanship on some of these people. 1st rule is to respect your opponent as much as you cheer for yours. Booing is fine. Turning your back on them is fine, but shouting out words that are only drawing attention to yourself (because the players sure won't hear them).

2nd off, the guy that sat just below me that kept taking hits off his blunt/joint almost got a fist full of my knuckles. Like I said above, if my kid was there he would have. You could tell when we first got there he was a little on the wacky side. Figured he was drunk, but when he kept lighting up I figured it out (because I'm smart like that). What on earth was he thinking? "Hey dude, the 80's called and they want their wardrobe back". Very classy.

Next let's go to the sound system. IT SUCKS! You could barley hear anything out of it and who ever was in charge of the music needs to be fired. No way to get the fans energized with that weak thing out there.

OK, here is where WSU needs to learn about being in a crucial HOME game with a ton of implications. THE BAND. Here's a little play by play for you. "Cougs down 10 with 5 minutes left. After a couple of scores we get it down to 6 and get a turn over which stops the clock for the under 4 minute TO. Crowd is the loudest it has been all night (still weak). The band gets ready and plays.........Y-M-C-A? WTF are you thinking? Y-M-C- frickin A. Are you serious? Crowd calms down and never really gets back into the game as UCLA pulls away late. WOW is all I had to say at the time.

So after that debacle that WSU called supporting their team, I came up with some ideas for you.

1. Pay someone to streak across the floor during crucial timeouts. That way your band can't screw it up.

2. Get rid of the band!

3. Honestly, you need a BB venue. Maybe it was the all the crap in the rafters that absorbed the loud cheering you were doing. Get a new arena for your boys, they deserve better.

4. What's with the Gator Chomp bit? Is that the Coug Chomp? Stupid, and does nothing to get the crowd into the game.

5. Educate the "other half" of the crowd on how to cheer. The student section did decent last night, but the "others" went to watch a game and that's all they did. They just don't know when to cheer.

OK, class is out for now. Compared to the Memphis/GU game (which was the atmosphere I was expecting last night), last nights game didn't come close. That was a great energy filled game that had people in their 50's and later screaming.

Hopefully the WSU faithful will learn from this and only improve. As of now though, they have a lot to learn about having a top 15 BB team. Don't take it for granted people.
:fingergun:

P.S. The game was not even sold out last night. I figured there was about 500-1000 seats that were not filled. Unacceptable.

former1dog
03-02-2007, 08:20 AM
The exorcism has begun.... :bishop_smiley:

mdZag23
03-02-2007, 08:25 AM
Lighten up Francis!

They are learning! That is literally the first big basketball game they've had in 20 years at that place.

I'm sure you didn't drop out of the womb singing "Zombie Nation", in tone!

former1dog
03-02-2007, 08:27 AM
Lighten up Francis!

They are learning! That is literally the first big basketball game they've had in 20 years at that place.

Oddly, it seemed that the Cougar fans had it figured out when GU came to town this year. Odd because by any estimation the UCLA game in this context is a much bigger deal to the team and consequently to the fan base than was our game against them.

Weird.

Edited to add, the GU game was a sell out this year in Cougville. Just FYI..

ZagManFan
03-02-2007, 08:31 AM
Lighten up Francis!

That was light. I modified that post like 5 times before posting it.:cool:

lothar98zag
03-02-2007, 08:38 AM
That is literally the first big basketball game they've had in 20 years at that place.

Wow, I didn't know that the GU game earlier this season was 20 years ago....

mdZag23
03-02-2007, 08:48 AM
Loved the "that was light" comment!

As for the GU game this year, no one was expecting WSU to be this good at that point in the season and EVERYONE was expecting GU to win! Therefore, I stand by my comment that last nights game was the biggest game in Pullman in a very long time. Throw in the fact that that it had potential PAC 10 League Champ implications and I'm really not sure how anyone can argue that point.

former1dog
03-02-2007, 08:54 AM
fact that that it had potential PAC 10 League Champ implications and I'm really not sure how anyone can argue that point.

What point is being argued?

:boxing:

SteeleMan
03-02-2007, 08:55 AM
So was the intent of you post to really try to "help", or just chest pounding on your part?

Maybe post this over on Cougfan, eh?

ZagManFan
03-02-2007, 08:56 AM
A little of both.

SteeleMan
03-02-2007, 09:07 AM
Your views on the band are shared by many Coug fans, whether it be for hoops or football. And it really isn't their fault, IMO. I don't know who the band director is, or who's leading their show, but they really don't have a clue about much of anything.

I watched the game on FSN. And you could tell the crowd got tired (maybe even more so than the players) and UCLA took them right out of game at the start of the second half. I also agree with you that the sound system could use an upgrade. Maybe if the Cougs keep winning and getting invites to the dance then money will come trickling in for such a thing.

Profanities and throwing stuff on the floor is just stupid all around, and the guy lighting up in front of you should have been called out and kicked out. After all, he ain't no Josh Heytvelt or Theo Davis... ;)

brasszag
03-02-2007, 10:21 AM
YMCA?

Dude.

Eye. Of. The. Tiger.

gu03alum
03-02-2007, 10:31 AM
Before you try to say that Gonzaga doesn't swear or throw things, I think you should watch this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9GnsQPMA60

UberZagFan
03-02-2007, 10:35 AM
If my kid was there last night I would have punched a guy last night. Very poor sportsmanship on some of these people.

Now that sure would have been a good show of sportmanship on your part: "Son, if some idiot is in the stands screaming profanities, your best response is to clock the guy....see watch me!"

:confused:

lothar98zag
03-02-2007, 10:37 AM
Now that sure would have been a good show of sportmanship on your part: "Son, if some idiot is in the stands screaming profanities, your best response is to clock the guy....see watch me!"

:confused:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who caught that.

ZagManFan
03-02-2007, 10:52 AM
Uber, you are right on that. Just felt a little hot still from last night. Maybe because I got little sleep. Fact is 2 wrongs don't make a right.

UberZagFan
03-02-2007, 11:22 AM
Uber, you are right on that. Just felt a little hot still from last night. Maybe because I got little sleep. Fact is 2 wrongs don't make a right.

Just givin' you a hard time. As a father of 9 and 11 year old children, I know exactly your feeling.

former1dog
03-02-2007, 11:47 AM

You're a good man, ZagManFan. :)

ZagManFan
03-02-2007, 11:50 AM
It's OK Uber. I have to be set straight once in a while. Plus I highly doubt I would have punched him unless I asked him to stop and he got belligerent with me. Then it's a whole new ball game.

I guess what I was trying to get across was that I felt the Coug faithful just doesn't seem to have that energy that is needed to push your team over the top. Felt disappointed as I cheer for all Local teams when not playing the Zags (except the Fuskies).
:agreed:

ZagManFan
03-02-2007, 11:52 AM
You're a good man, ZagManFan.

Why thank you sir.:allhail:

VanZagar
03-03-2007, 08:17 PM

3 lefts do