PDA

View Full Version : South Alabama 69 Western KY 64; St. Joe's Update

CDC84
02-22-2008, 08:10 AM
South Alabama just seems to have WKU's number. Both teams are tied for first place in the Sun Belt East, but needless to say, USA wins the tiebreaker for the #1 postseason tourney seed if they win out. Simply put, although WKU is still clinging to a 51 RPI ranking, and is likely going to win out in the regular season, their at large hopes are zilch with zero top 100 victories right now. Worse yet, the Sun Belt postseason tourney is in Mobile, Alabama this season. That being said, Zag fans need to keep rooting for the Toppers because while they may have to win the Sun Belt tourney to get in, they still have enough good credentials to help out GU.

Another team just outside of the RPI top 50 is St. Joe's. The Hawks are one of three A-10 teams that are tied for 2nd place in the league. They have a really challenging set of games coming up in the wild and crazy A-10 that could either really, really help them (and GU), or sink them:

at (43) Rhode Island, 2/24
(106) St. Louis, 2/28
(68) Temple, 3/2
(7) Xavier, 3/6
at (38) Dayton, 3/8

The good news is that 3/5 are at home, including the big Xavier matchup. The bad news is that URI and Dayton are nasty road games.

BTW....Gonzaga is at 34 in the RPI today.

GoZags
02-22-2008, 08:15 AM
Zags' "projected" RPI (according to Jerry Palm's www.collegerpi.com) moved up overnight to 29 (from 30) and St. Mary's moved up to 21 (from 23). Of course, that is if everything goes according to Hoyle.

Birddog
02-22-2008, 08:18 AM
I don't pretend to know such things, but So Alabama's current RPI is at 27 If WKU wins the tourney and the auto bid, it would seem to me that So Ala might get an at large. If So Ala wins outright it leaves some room in case of GU stumbling or the WCC having a logjam. It's doubtful (or at least less likely) that WKU would get an at large bid in that scenario (So Ala winning their Tournament).

rennis
02-22-2008, 08:28 AM
I don't pretend to know such things, but So Alabama's current RPI is at 27 If WKU wins the tourney and the auto bid, it would seem to me that So Ala might get an at large. If So Ala wins outright it leaves some room in case of GU stumbling or the WCC having a logjam. It's doubtful (or at least less likely) that WKU would get an at large bid in that scenario (So Ala winning their Tournament).

There are a lot of smaller schools with high RPIs this year. It's weird to see a school like So. Ala. with an RPI in the 20s.

CDC84
02-22-2008, 08:32 AM
St. Mary's takes on Kent State (40 RPI) tomorrow night at 8pm PT on ESPN2 in the BracketBusters event.

CarolinaZagFan
02-22-2008, 09:30 AM
I'd say that we have to pull for St. Mary's tomorrow...everyone agree?

ZagNative
02-22-2008, 09:33 AM
Ha! I was looking for a way to sneak in this Zag-relate blurb from this morning's net trolling, from Deadspin.com (http://deadspin.com/359556/highlanders-there-can-be-only-one):

Kent State (22-5) at St. Mary's (23-3). Kent State never gets the press that some of the more glamorous mid-majors do, but they've just notched their tenth straight season with 20+ victories, which isn't easy to do in the MAC. Anyone who stayed up to watch the Gonzaga at St. Mary's game earlier this year probably remembers it as one of the most exciting, and yet most poorly lit games they have ever seen.Amen!

The lead in the story is the UW Huskies' dreaded replacement on their OOC, New Jersey Institute of Technology (28 straight losses), but it has a reference to the WKU-South Alabama game, as well as a Bracket-Buster Weekend preview.

lothar98zag
02-22-2008, 09:41 AM
St. Mary's takes on Kent State (40 RPI) tomorrow night at 8pm PT on ESPN2 in the BracketBusters event.
9pm PST

gamagin
02-22-2008, 09:54 AM
tns for the heads up, and for all your effort.

MickMick
02-22-2008, 10:04 AM
South Alabama must have a heck of a squad to beat the likes of Lee and Brazelton. I was very, very impressed with those two when the Zags played them.

CDC84
02-22-2008, 10:33 AM
While South Alabama shoots 47% from the floor as a team, and 37% from 3 point land, the key to their success is that they are an absolute rebounding machine of a team...they are almost +8 on the boards this season. Although they only outrebounded WKU by 5 last night, the double digit lead that USA build in the 1st half that proved to be too much to overcome was built on devastating board work.

No one wants to play the South Alabama Jaguars this March. They have 5 losses total, and in those losses, they lost by an average of 3.8 pts. per contest, including a double OT heartbreaker against Vandy in Nashville. Their team could easily be 25-2 right now.The Jags are also responsible for handing Grier's USD team their worst loss of the season...by 22 in Anaheim early on in the season. I watched that game, and knew they were good back then. BTW....they aren't a part of the BracketBuster event...they really don't even need to be in it.