PDA

View Full Version : Santa Clara's Dave Lewis rips Zags

Bing
03-02-2007, 07:06 AM
I just heard him (Santa Clara's play by play announcer) on KJR during a Mitch interview. He seems to think Santa Clara is a feel good story in part because of all of Gonzaga's drug problems.

And this is on the heels of their Athletic Director making disparaging comments about Gonzaga's Admission policy a few weeks ago.

J-Lo
03-02-2007, 07:10 AM
Neither is really false. Sure, I hate to hear negative things about GU as much as any other alum, but it's not as if they're spreading lies.

Heytvelt and Davis DID get arrested for possession.

GU HAS... "tweaked"... their admission policies with relation to basketball players, just like they do with any number of other special cases.

We can't really get mad at a guy for saying something in an interview that everyone already knows.

sittingon50
03-02-2007, 07:13 AM
You work in Admissions, J-Lo?

brasszag
03-02-2007, 07:56 AM
Heck, I was a special "case" in two separate ways over the course of my time at GU. It only shows that GU can look at information beyond and behind the two flat numerical data points - the SAT and the GPA - to work with folks who want that degree, and are willing to work for it.

Not being able to look beyond the numbers is not something I'd think SCU would be proud of, really. The flexibility to work with students that have made mistakes in the past but are willing to put forth the effort and grow that GU have reflects well on the Jesuits there - and is one of the reasons I'm proud of my University.

Don't give us mealy-mouthed crap about "tweaking" standards and implying that it means that GU doesn't have any standards at all or that it's something to be ashamed of - it means that there's a world outside the "pure and clean" numbers that must be taken into account - that GU manages to do. The ability to work with the real people within the real world is a virtue, not a vice.

I don't have any trouble with GU recruiting playes who may need academic help - teaching those who are willing to learn is why GU's in "business" and is the mission of the Jesuits. I have more trouble with recruiting players who only want to use GU as a stepping-stone to the NBA, MLB, etc... and are not interested in the school as a school - the core mission.

CDC84
03-02-2007, 08:04 AM
And this is on the heels of their Athletic Director making disparaging comments about Gonzaga's Admission policy a few weeks ago.

In all fairness, I don't think Dan Coonan (SCU's AD) made disparaging remarks specific to Gonzaga's admissions policy in that Mercury News article. All he said was that SCU couldn't lower it's own admissions standards to accept athletes....that this was something the new coach at SCU would have to deal with. This kind of thing does effect the coaching search. The disparaging remarks about GU having lowered its standards at times came from "unidentified sources within the league" (I paraphrase). Now you could argue that some of those sources are coming from SCU, but that's random speculation at best. No one specific was identified in that article.

The comments from their play by play announcer (which I didn't hear) make it sound like he feels that GU is a renegade program or something. Whatever. Whenever you have 18-22 year old kids, it's absolutely inevitable that a couple of them along the way will do something stupid. Until Gonzaga has a track record of players doing this sort of thing (ala UConn), the whole good vs. evil thing doesn't work....it just reeks of envy, and it makes SCU look bad. The comments make the current group of Zags look like thugs. He might have more justification to make these comments if Gonzaga were actually playing Josh and Theo, but they have been indefinitely suspended from the team.

UIUWUMUCGuy
03-02-2007, 08:18 AM
Neither is really false. Sure, I hate to hear negative things about GU as much as any other alum, but it's not as if they're spreading lies.

Heytvelt and Davis DID get arrested for possession.

GU HAS... "tweaked"... their admission policies with relation to basketball players, just like they do with any number of other special cases.

We can't really get mad at a guy for saying something in an interview that everyone already knows.

Eh...let 'em talk. The Zags have the banner and might even have the auto-bid in a few days.

Regarding academic standards for players, what's important is the players leave GU with a good education and good character, and that they are part of the student body while there. From what I read here the players seem to be well liked by their fellow students, and that speaks a lot.

former1dog
03-02-2007, 08:19 AM
Frankly, I'm one former Bulldog and current fan that does not give a care what this play by play announcer thinks. GU, IMO, has done the right thing regarding the disciplining of Josh and Theo and in regards to academic standards.

If GU ever starts to conduct themselves in a way that is not acceptable to the majority of its alumni, then we'll have something to worry about. That isn't happening, so I'm not worrying.

All the rest is just a beauty contest.

mdZag23
03-02-2007, 08:20 AM
Well said Brass!

I would add that college hoops is a business and we have all benefited from that business. This board would not be here if it wasn't for our success in this business.

That said, if we want to continue to be successful in this business we need to be flexible with admissions when it comes to our product.

Now, I'm not saying we sacrifice integrity and pull a Cincinnati here and we aren't even remotely close to that. But the fact of the matter is that most of the student athletes are not going to be able to compete academically with the admissions standards that are currently in place at GU. I think if you look really hard around the country you will see the same thing at Duke, Georgetown, UW, Michigan, etc. This holds true in more instances than not.

The school and the athletic department have done an absolutely fantastic job setting a standard, bringing in "Zag Material" players, providing an opportunity at a very good education, and maintaining the integrity of the school and the program.

Afterall, isn't this really what the Jesuits are all about? Opportunity, Education, Faith, and Integrity?

Bing
03-02-2007, 08:20 AM
http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/sports/16649453.htm

CDC, You'd have to tell me what "other schools" Coonan is discussing -- as his comments immediately before are all about Gonzaga. It is also interesting how Coonan and "league source" are interchangeable in this article. That board of trustees comment is ludicrous.

The arena is packed, the media coverage is constant, and the recruits are enthralled.

It's a mini version of Tucson, or Lawrence, Kan.

``The board of trustees does not make a decision without saying, `How does this affect basketball?' '' one league source said. ``The economics of Gonzaga basketball are unique.''

Santa Clara will never be like that. Neither will Portland or St. Mary's or USF or any other school in the conference.

But that doesn't stop Broncos fans from dreaming, especially now when the team is tied with the Zags for first place.

``I get asked that question, `Why can't we be Gonzaga?' more than I get asked about (bringing back) football,'' Santa Clara Athletic Director Dan Coonan said. ``We're not going to try to be like Gonzaga or anyone else. . . .

``Our basketball heritage, our facility, and our location, coupled with the tremendous academic reputation of our university, allow us to be every bit as competitive as Gonzaga, as this team this year is demonstrating.

``That said, we will continue to do it our way, which means we aren't going to be making the type of compromises academically other schools might be willing to make.''

J-Lo
03-02-2007, 08:56 AM
You work in Admissions, J-Lo?

Wow, did that get taken the wrong way.

No, I don't work in admissions, but I was at the school long enough, and have spoken with enough people that DO work in the higher positions at the school, to know that not every person that comes to GU meets their 3.75 GPA average (or whatever it's at now). Pargo struggled to get a 20 on the ACT- that was the threshold for him getting into GU. I know plenty of people with higher scores who have been turned away. My "tweaking" comment wasn't meant to be derogatory... clearly, as some above have noted, there are special cases, and I'm glad that GU looks at the whole picture, not just a couple of standardized test scores. There are a lot of people I know that would have been turned away if GU focused only on those numbers.

BobZag
03-02-2007, 09:25 AM
Does Duke and Coach K compromise their high admission standards?

Btw, SCU is a feel good story because it's Davey's swan song. Any idiot knows that.

PeninsulaDog
03-02-2007, 09:39 AM
In all fairness, I don't think Dan Coonan (SCU's AD) made disparaging remarks specific to Gonzaga's admissions policy in that Mercury News article.

Coonan may not have made disparaging remarks overtly, but I can tell you that the jabs about Gonzaga's admissions process (relative to athletes) come from people in Santa Clara's athletic department, and specifically from people associated with the basketball program. Believe me, I have been hearing it for years.

brasszag
03-02-2007, 09:39 AM
Wow, did that get taken the wrong way. ... My "tweaking" comment wasn't meant to be derogatory... clearly, as some above have noted, there are special cases, and I'm glad that GU looks at the whole picture, not just a couple of standardized test scores. There are a lot of people I know that would have been turned away if GU focused only on those numbers.

Fair enough, no blood, no foul - I misread your comment.

I'm just very tired of the constant implication by folks from the other schools in the WCC that GU's only about Basketball, and have sacrificed their academic mission to be where we are - especially SCU and USF.

There's no excuses any more for them not stepping up to a national stage alongside GU. Sure GU's budget is higher now than any of theirs. That's the results of decades of hard work and constant improvement going back to Fitz, through Monson, to the current staff of Few and Co.

USF has national championships, Pepperdine has great location - as does San Diego, LMU has the legacy of Kimble/Gathers, SCU has the legacy of Nash (as well as a very highly regarded academic history), Portland, with their new coach looks to be a program on the rise, and SMU is a beautiful campus... the excuses have to end - ALL of these can be used to improve recruiting and get better players in there.

That's what needs to happen. The potential is there to build the WCC up to a continual 2-bid conference (with the occassional 3 bid) - but until some other school gets their act together it's going to remain GU and the 7 dwarfs (as I've seen it called in the media).

There's nothing GU had (and still has) that any other school can't have for themselves - and they can all do it without sacrificing their academic, and social missions... just like GU has not had to sacrifice.

sittingon50
03-02-2007, 10:01 AM
Did Lewis have anything to say about the shameless way SCU forced out their basketball Coach, or did he "draw the line" when his comments might affect his employment?

thickman1
03-02-2007, 10:10 AM
I think the bottomline here is this:

If you can't beat 'em, complain (B i t c h) about them.

RenoZag
03-02-2007, 10:13 AM
The new SI ( with Ohio State on the cover ) that landed in yesterday's mailbox has a small piece on Davey's ouster at SCU and the so called "Gonzaga syndrome" that is affecting the way WCC and other small schools look at their hoops programs.

As has been discussed on this board before, GU's success has raised the expectations of other small school programs who have made it to the Big Dance; the logic-- twisted or not-- is that if a school can make it to the tourney once, why can't they do it again and again like Gonzaga. . .I would bet Jim Larranaga(sp) at George Mason is facing similar expectations this year.

It underscores how hard it is to accomplish hoops success year after year.
GU never wanted to be a one hit wonder and the proof of that is evidenced by the string of regular season WCC championships as well as the number of years the Zags have been in the Big Dance.