PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Zags Item ?

gmo
02-25-2007, 08:08 PM
Curious what is everyone's one favorite piece of Zags memorabilia or item they possess?

I am really not a collector - but i would have to say mine is my Zags 1999 Phoenix Regional t-shirt because of such sentimental value for me.

Not only was that my favorite Zag memory ("The Tip-in"), but it was the first basketball game I ever attended with my wife (new girlfriend at the time) and she bought me the shirt.

tobizag
02-25-2007, 08:10 PM
My mom passed away in March of last year of brain cancer, but before she died the entire team signed a poster for her, and the coaches sent her a card saying that they were praying for her.

The poster is framed in my dad's house, and will always be our favorite piece of memorabilia.

rawkmandale
02-25-2007, 08:24 PM
I don't have anything as great as that of Tobyzag, but I do have a "Final B Tournament 2006" program signed by David Pendergraph, who was attending with Derek Raivio.

229SintoZag
02-25-2007, 09:00 PM
1960-1961 Gonzaga Men's hoops media guide. (Frank Burgess's senior year). Burgess is on the cover.

Ibellibie
02-25-2007, 09:34 PM
I'm a bit of an autograph lover, so whenever I have the chance to get something signed--I'm on it. (I've been known to go to GU volleyball games, basketball teeshirt/fresh Sharpie stuffed in my bag...but only because I've seen players at the times I've played/practiced and been to vball related activities at Martin. :o) Because of this my favorite GU memorabilia would have to be one of my 3 teeshirts from the past 3 out of 4 seasons (2003-2004, 2004-2005, and 2006-2007). I have nearly everyones from those seasons, excluding Adam Morrison (bah!! and to think I sat next to him on TWO occasions but was too scared to ask for him to sign my shirt...) and Micah Downs.

TheBeast
02-25-2007, 09:53 PM
My stub from the USF game in January... my first in the new Kennel.
Oh, and my videotape of The Season.

bayzag09
02-26-2007, 12:36 AM
is there anyway to get a videotape of that???? i would die for it...someone please help!

zagfaninmt
02-26-2007, 06:07 AM
My diploma?

brasszag
02-26-2007, 06:19 AM
I got one of those too, Zagfaninmt... expensive little trinket.

And whenever I see it, I still wonder when I'm going to get the call saying "hey we discovered your records are incorrect - you didn't really graduate"

gozagswoohoo
02-26-2007, 06:27 AM
tobizag- Wow man, that's awesome.

Sinto- Did you get that on ebay about a year ago? Seems like I saw that media guide on there.

former1dog
02-26-2007, 07:12 AM
I've never been a big autograph or memorabilia guy. I'm a running geek, so I did get Jim Ryun's autograph when I went to the AAU junior olympics a long time ago.

I did decide last year that I ought to have the SI issue with Adam on the cover for my son, so I bought that. Maybe Saramo can get it autographed for me?

Zagpower
02-26-2007, 07:34 AM
I have my downstairs decorated with Zag memorabilia. Framed autographed jerseys of Adam Morrison and Ronny Turiaf, unsigned Jersey of Tony Canadeo, autographed photos of Stockton, Turiaf, Pargo, and LG.
But my most unusual item is a framed photo of John Stockton, purchased from the Disney Foundation when they were remodeling, that shows John with a large line of kids and John is autographing everything in sight. Quite an unusual pic!

ZagNut08
02-26-2007, 08:22 AM
Only have a few things...but my #35 turiaf jersey takes it for now. Wear it on gamedays over here in Florence

gamagin
02-26-2007, 08:25 AM
Since our family of five boys grew up on campus, we all had enough "stuff" over the years to fill a small museum.

As a batboy, I got all the broken bats, dozens of balls (a foul ball into the lumber yard was considered sunken treasure), plus those dented, water soaked, threads broken etc. Plus old uniforms (I had 2-3, but they were so big I wasn't that interested); mitts, caps, you name it. Imagine a locker room at the end of a season and you get some idea.

Same with basketball. Whenever a team would get new uniforms, there were all those old ones. Mostly tops. Bottoms were there but were way too big (imagine that being a problem today!)

Then there was all those football uniforms, helmets and shoes that Gonzaga High School inherited from the GU program when it was stopped with WW II. Fr. Harry Jahn, equipment mgr., Gonzaga High school (located roughly where welch hall is today) gave us kids all the helmets and uniforms we wanted.

And shoes. with rubber cleats. the helmets were all leather, no lining and seemed to weigh about 10 pounds apiece. no face masks. The pants looked and felt like canvas and the jerseys were wool, tattered, moth eaten and way to big. We didn't care. We put everything on and played football on the oval now located between the cog and the Crosby Library year round.

It used to have wooden stands and a giant scoreboard about where the front of the Foley Library now protrudes.

We thought we owned the world. And we did. After all, we played on the field where, back in the day, legend and history will tell you, Mike Pecarovich helped develop the forward pass. Ray Flaherty, who went on to become the Washington Redskins' coach who won the first Superbowl (not called that then), coached there. All American Tony Canadeo played there, too. And Ray Hare & Herm Brass and Peter Patrick Higgins and Seaton Daly. the list goes on. and on.

For all I know, we owned some of their gear. We definitely imitated their game in primitive equipment, on their turf.

The sad part is I can't think of a single article any of us kept. It was junk to Fr. Jahn and GU when they gave it to us. It was at least third hand, maybe fourth. We gave it life for several more years and gave it away or threw the old equipment away whenever "newer" equipment became available from fr. Jahn. At that was generally at the end of each season.

Seems like a million years ago. Until I write about it. then it seems like yesterday. I can still see & hear Puggy Hunton and Bill Frazier yelling at a bunch of GHS fb players whenever i visit that site.

and I still remember when Paul Redmond trampled me as I attempted to run alongside him, on the field, during practice, one time. He gave me a taste of his cleats, which sank into my back. He kept going until he reached the endzone. I as five or six.

RebornZag
02-26-2007, 09:21 AM
I still have my old annuals from 67-70. It's really a fun time to pull them out and REMEMBER the good ol days. I also have my scrapbook with newspaper articles written about the basketball team back in the good 'ol day. Those are fun too.

The Bulldog item I probably value the most is a "classic" Gonzaga Bulldog Tshirt that my nephew gave me. He was over at GU at the end of his Senior year for a tennis match with GU (he played for Seattle U) He bought a Classic T-Shirt while there and he then gave it to me....Mmmm maybe 10 years ago. It now has about 4 nice holes in it, but I still where it often around the house only, or under another shirt.

My son often gets me Bulldog sweatshirts, T-shirts caps ect for Christmas. My favorite, and I wear them during all games I watch on TV, is a long sleeve blue Gonzaga (picture of a Bulldog) basketball sweatshirt....no hood. Over that I wear a grey and red Gonzaga Bulldog T-Shirt. I just started wearing this outfit maybe a month ago, and it's been doing well. I forgot to put the grey T-shirt over the blue sweatshirt the day we lost to Santa Clara, so I really DO not forget to put that on now.

Zaghuatanejo
02-26-2007, 09:43 AM
Autographed Stockton shirt or the inaugural towel from McCarthy's first game.

zag69
02-26-2007, 10:02 AM
A couple of diplomas, my green freshman beanie from 1965, a big GO ZAGS pin from about 1967, lots of shirts and baseball caps. And a picture of the GU students who 'borrowed' Butch the Cougar, WSU's mascot in December of 1965 for the opening game at the Kennedy Pavilion. I'm on the right.

RenoZag
02-26-2007, 10:43 AM
In 1999, Garth Patil & Dale Goodwin put together a four page insert called " Breakout '99" that was in the Signum. . .Pages 2 - 3 were highlighted by a nice photo of Casey dunking on Florida. . .he's wearing the shorts that had the old snarling bulldog caricature.

Had it framed and matted and it hangs in the office. . .above the GU diploma.

There's room for more history to come. . .

On the more practical side, there's the Dark Blue Zags hoodie that I wear for every televised game. . .used to have bunny slippers but discarded them (before I learned of their supernatural powers ) in favor of Homer Simpson slipps. . .

The most precious GU stuff I have are letters from Fr. Frank Costello and the late Dr. Fran Polek, the two greatest influences on my GU "career" and subsequent life after leaving campus.

Zaghuatanejo
02-26-2007, 12:07 PM

On the more practical side, there's the Dark Blue Zags hoodie that I wear for every televised game. . .used to have bunny slippers but discarded them (before I learned of their supernatural powers ) in favor of Homer Simpson slipps. . .

The most precious GU stuff I have are letters from Fr. Frank Costello and the late Dr. Fran Polek, the two geratest influences on my GU "career" and subsequent life after leaving campus.

Don't underestimate the power of the Homer slipps.

BC1210is
02-26-2007, 02:02 PM
This was the sticker on the Kennel floor from the Bracket Buster game in 02 I think that my roommates and I peeled off the floor and stuck on the floor of our house at 808 mission. Any current students know if it is still there?

PeninsulaDog
02-26-2007, 02:42 PM
What a great post, Gamagin! I graduated in the 80s, but have a real fascination with the GU football program. I collect GU football programs from the 20s, 30s and 40s, one of which has a picture of Puggy Hunton on its cover, signed by . . . . Tony Canadeo. Thanks for describing those memories -- it really brings that era alive.

alaskazagnut
02-26-2007, 03:48 PM
I have 2 of Jeremy Eaton's rings. The 1997 conference championship ring and the Elite 8 ring of 1999.

SunDevilGolfZag
02-26-2007, 04:33 PM
2 of my favorites -- a large (21" by 21") framed hankerchief from the GU 1937football homecoming -- dubbed the Bing Crosby Homecoming -- showing an autographed football and a big bulldog. I also have the full Spokane Chronicle sports page from January 27, 1961, with the article and several action photos of Frank Burgess setting the 52-point record the previous night.

229SintoZag
02-26-2007, 04:41 PM
2 of my favorites -- a large (21" by 21") framed hankerchief from the GU 1937football homecoming -- dubbed the Bing Crosby Homecoming -- showing an autographed football and a big bulldog. I also have the full Spokane Chronicle sports page from January 27, 1961, with the article and several action photos of Frank Burgess setting the 52-point record the previous night.

SunDevilZag--you MUST scan this and post a link. I'd love to see/read it.

94zagoldwomanasherdsmen
02-26-2007, 04:42 PM
beat to hell 15 year-young gray Gonzaga hooded sweatshirt my mom bought me my first day as a freshman that is now only reserved (what's left of it) for game days...Not nearly as exciting, but I can't part with it.

SunDevilGolfZag
02-26-2007, 04:48 PM
229 -- I'll see if I can figure out how to do it

mendiant
02-26-2007, 05:30 PM
Autographed ticket stubs from the past three years (the tickets feature pictures of the players).

Autographed schedule posters from the past four years.

Photographs of myself with players.

And couple of really cool coffee mugs with interactive basketballs atop the handles.

Proudzagmom
02-26-2007, 05:34 PM
We have The Season on VHS and my kids are always going around trying to imitate Turiaf's accent, "Earl's always touchin' my DVD's!" Our family has enough photos, autographs, sweatshirts, t-shirts, sweatpants, hats, posters, etc. to be considered obsessive. But, it's not as though I do dumb things like sign up for our local sports package, which includes Fox College in order to watch ONE game on the afternoon of said game. . .;)

StocktonZag
02-26-2007, 05:47 PM
When Rillie went off at Santa Clara & the conference title belonged to the Zags, I had my boys (10 and 8 then) on the court milling around & watching the net cutting ceremony (like you could do THAT today!!). I noticed that a 3'' to 4'' piece of the net remained on the rim and the crowd was drifting away, so I hoisted my son up & "obtained a piece of Zag history!!" My son is 26 now and still has the memorabilia on his dresser. Little did we know at the time... Even had Fr. Tony bless it (LOL).
Remember then, they had to move everybody to the lower section of the old Toso Pavilion so the TV coverage looked like a good crowd. Good luck getting a ticket today (and good luck ever again getting a piece of the net!!)

GU69
02-26-2007, 05:55 PM
An old Gonzaga practice jersey that one of the players gave me.

gmo
02-26-2007, 07:37 PM
Thanks for sharing everyone, some truly remarkable stories.

GO ZAGS - let's win the WCC!!

gamagin
02-27-2007, 12:31 PM
Peninsula dog wrote: What a great post, Gamagin! I graduated in the 80s, but have a real fascination with the GU football program. I collect GU football programs from the 20s, 30s and 40s, one of which has a picture of Puggy Hunton on its cover, signed by . . . . Tony Canadeo. Thanks for describing those memories -- it really brings that era alive.
--

You are welcome. fmi, how did you happen to start collecting those old programs and where did you find them. How many, etc ? Somewhere in somebody's closet are a bunch of old GU yearbooks. We beat them up as kids, too, but I think some exist. My dad was in the SATC and was a classmate of der Bingle. His brother played fb at GU. One of my bros played bb there. All of us attended GU. So there's a pile of memorabilia somewhere. but you seem to have acquired a particularly fragile and rare collection. Do you have any programs with qb Houston Stockton on them? He was to GU what the great Hugh McIlhenney (sp?) was to UW in his day. He was John's grandpa.

best regards

Frazzle
02-27-2007, 01:08 PM
I have 2 of Jeremy Eaton's rings. The 1997 conference championship ring and the Elite 8 ring of 1999.

I had heard a rumor that Jeremy Eaton sold his rings, but did not believe it could be true until now.

gamagin
02-27-2007, 02:09 PM
<< Frazzle wrote: I had heard a rumor that Jeremy Eaton sold his rings, but did not believe it could be true until now. >>

Were his fingers still in them ?

inquiring minds . . .

Wolkster
02-27-2007, 02:53 PM
My Gonzaga t-shirt.

During the run of 99' or 00' I saw some players wearing 'Cinderella My Ass' t-shirts, so I called up the bookstore and asked if I could buy a couple of them. The lady giggled and said that those weren't official t-shirts and they didn't have them to sell. Too bad. I would have liked to get one of them.

UberZagFan
02-27-2007, 03:04 PM
I still got two old beat up GU intramural champs shirts. I refuse to throw them away though my wife only lets me wear them around the house. ;)

I also recently got a GU poker chip encased and to be used as a card protector. It's been working pretty good in the house game, so that may become my favorite.

I just started wearing this outfit maybe a month ago, and it's been doing well. I forgot to put the grey T-shirt over the blue sweatshirt the day we lost to Santa Clara, so I really DO not forget to put that on now.

This is what I like to hear--some dedication with the wardrobe. I do this to a fault--playing baseball all my life has probably contributed to it. But I really started running out of clothes to wear this year after the losses in December. There was a point where I thought I had to go buy some more shirts but then my cuz game me a KC shirt at the BIS so that saved the day. Then GU started winning again so I cycled back in some Loss shirts--which is okay if enough wins have occurred and time has passed since the losses. But one shirt suffered mutliple losses this year and likely will be put up on ebay.

The most precious GU stuff I have are letters from Fr. Frank Costello and the late Dr. Fran Polek, the two greatest influences on my GU "career" and subsequent life after leaving campus.

Reno: Father Costello was very influential in my GU career as well as the rest of my family's (there's about 6 or more grads in my family). Your statement does not suprise me.

TexasZagFan
02-27-2007, 03:48 PM
...GU seat cushion purchased junior or senior year. The sales of these were planned as a fundraiser for the ROTC drill teams. When very few were sold at the basketball games, Colonel Duffy basically gave us a direct order to buy one each.

You recall that, RenoZag? If you don't, then it had to be my junior year.

I guess my faves would include an old photo album and yearbooks, and the memories of the road trip to the Pit in 2003, even though we lost to Wyoming. The stories told from the USF game refreshed that memory, as my son & I were in the middle of the Wyoming section. I knew Blake was cold that day, but 1-13?

alaskazagnut
02-27-2007, 03:55 PM
I had heard a rumor that Jeremy Eaton sold his rings, but did not believe it could be true until now.

frazzle......... They surfaced at different times, and I bought them. The 1999elite 8 one is my favorite but the 1997 conference championship is nice too. There is one more Eaton ring out there somewhere, the 1998 WCC conference chamionship ring. I still would offer them back to him if he would reimburse me for what I paid. But they are only a symbol, and to him apparently, the memories are what really matter. He is right. But I never played NCAA ball, so i like owning a ring.

TheBeast
02-27-2007, 04:20 PM
...But, it's not as though I do dumb things like sign up for our local sports package, which includes Fox College in order to watch ONE game on the afternoon of said game. . .;)

Yeah, that'd be cwwwwwaaaaaaazzzzzzyyyyyy. ;) (6:05pm is when I called in...)

RenoZag
02-27-2007, 05:11 PM
...GU seat cushion purchased junior or senior year. The sales of these were planned as a fundraiser for the ROTC drill teams. When very few were sold at the basketball games, Colonel Duffy basically gave us a direct order to buy one each.

You recall that, RenoZag? If you don't, then it had to be my junior year.

I guess my faves would include an old photo album and yearbooks, and the memories of the road trip to the Pit in 2003, even though we lost to Wyoming. The stories told from the USF game refreshed that memory, as my son & I were in the middle of the Wyoming section. I knew Blake was cold that day, but 1-13?

TexZag: It rings a bell. . .Your pal, Quasimodo. . .

gamagin
02-28-2007, 05:42 AM
So what would rings like Eaton's be worth to a collector ? What are they made of (gold, silver?) and why did he sell them in the first place?

At first blush, it doesn't seem like they would be worth anything except to the owner. But obviously, that isn't true.

thanks

PeninsulaDog
02-28-2007, 08:46 AM
Gamagin:

I'm really interested in that era of football on the west coast -- primarily because my uncle played for USF in the '30s. (He later became a Jesuit.) When I arrived at GU in the '80s, I was well-versed about Automatic Karamatic, the Grey Ghost and others because of my uncle and dad. (By the way, I was happy to see George Karamatic's name in GU's most recent annual list of donors.) I can't begin the estimate the number of hours I spent looking at the old photos on the first floor of the Ad building. Whenever I drive by what remains of Kezar Stadium here in SF, I always think back to the era of my uncle and wonder what it must have been like to watch GU slug it out against St. Mary's, USF, and Santa Clara. Over the past few years I've been bidding on EBay for GU football programs, and I now have about 12-14 of them, all framed and hanging in my office. I have one from 1928 with pictures of Houston Stockton as a coach. Thanks again for sharing the memories!

GonzagaGurl08
02-28-2007, 11:04 AM
Being a student, I have endless sweatshirts and T-shirts. My favorite memorabilia is my Pep Band shirt from last year, and all the autographs, and pictures with the players.

gamagin
02-28-2007, 11:11 AM
wrote: Gamagin: I'm really interested in that era of football on the west coast -- primarily because my uncle played for USF in the '30s. (He later became a Jesuit.) When I arrived at GU in the '80s, I was well-versed about Automatic Karamatic, the Grey Ghost and others because of my uncle and dad.
--

Thanks. you have some real treasures there and great memories to go with them. I wonder if you ever met Fr. Art Dussault (sp?). He played at GU and was a fixture on the campus for decades.

My guess is somewhere in his or the jebbies' archives are a lot more of those programs. Maybe, since you have an in (uncle), you could borrow some and copy them on a quality color machine at Kinko's and extend your collection.

best

Angelo Roncalli
02-28-2007, 11:24 AM
"Bulldogs of Gonzaga" sheet music.

Handmade quilt made of 25 panels taken from Zag t-shirts (Kennel Club, Battle in Seattle, Elite-8, Fr. Tony, etc.)

6 signed team basketballs

Piece of the Calvary broken backboard

Bryce McPhee's game road jersey (#34) which I wore while running in the NYC Marathon

Collection of old media guides, including '60-'61 guide with Frank Burgess on the cover

Signed Ronny Turiaf game jersey

Baseball signed by John Stockton, Ryne Sandberg & Mark Rypien

Ray Flaherty football card

BruddahZagJPoe
02-28-2007, 03:16 PM
My Official GU Rugby keg wars Champion T-Shirt.:D

I had two, but now only have one...:(

Go Zags...the god old days.

former1dog
02-28-2007, 03:26 PM
I wonder if you ever met Fr. Art Dussault (sp?). He played at GU and was a fixture on the campus for decades.

Fr. Dussault story -

My father went to GU his freshman year of college, circa 1947 or so, then transferred to UM for Pharmacy. When I went to GU my freshman year in 1988, my father ran into Fr. Dussault at a reception and Fr. Dussault recognized my Dad and called him by name. 41 years later!!!

I thought it might have been an extremely lucky guess, but in 1992, walking down the halls of the Ad building I ran into Fr. Dussault and said hello. He responded, "Well hello, Mr. Former1dog. How are you today?"..... I had not had reason to interact with Fr. Dussault since that day in 1988 and yet he had remembered my name. Whoa!

[I substituted my handle for my real name above so you guys can't find me and kick my arse.... :cool: ]

tobizag
02-28-2007, 03:29 PM
F1D and anyone else who thought highly of Fr. Dussault should swing into the Student Life office (when on campus). Many of his pieces of furniture from his old office are still being used, and we have his hard hat with his name on it as well. There is a lot of his history in that office.

gamagin
03-01-2007, 03:02 PM
former1dog - Fr. Dussault story - My father went to GU his freshman year of college, circa 1947 or so, then transferred to UM for Pharmacy. When I went to GU my freshman year in 1988, my father ran into Fr. Dussault at a reception and Fr. Dussault recognized my Dad and called him by name. 41 years later!!!
--
We had a love-hate relationship with the man we used to call art the fart (behind his back, of course). You see HE had this notion that HE was the only one who could okay our playing in the old Gym on Boone. WE had different ideas and sneaked into that barn day and night for years, turned on all the lights, and shot hoops into the wee hours.

UNTIL Fr. Dussault came busting in. I don't remember if he swore, but it sounded like swearing to me.

He never did catch on to the fact that whenever we'd scatter like those taco bell rats, one of us would stay back and hide. The scout would wait til everything settled down and the good Father was headed back to Crimont (I think it was). Soon, one of those locked doors would swing open again and back we'd go.

in later grade school, one of our friends got a key to the gym made and that really set him off. That might have been after fr. kophler took over from fr. dussault, who as I remember hit the stump for alumni money and was quite successful.

I wonder now, if any of his memorbilia includes any of our basketballs? He had enough of them to start a team.

In the end, as we all grew up, he became, as former1dog describes so well, a really nice fellow who always remembered your name and would always, in my case, ask after my mom or dad or a relative or two. He also followed our athletic careers. good man.

finally, i'm sure you all probably know this but the old mill pond which used to hold logs for the e.c. olsen lumber yard and mcgoldrick's before that, is named "Lake Arthur," after him.

RIP, Fr. Dussault. I'll keep the memories and you keep the balls.

tobizag
03-01-2007, 03:17 PM
great story...

former1dog
03-01-2007, 03:25 PM
Gotta honestly say, that gets me a little misty Gamagin. Thanks for sharing.

mendiant
03-01-2007, 04:06 PM
Fr. Dussault story -

My father went to GU his freshman year of college, circa 1947 or so, then transferred to UM for Pharmacy. When I went to GU my freshman year in 1988, my father ran into Fr. Dussault at a reception and Fr. Dussault recognized my Dad and called him by name. 41 years later!!! ]

Fr Tony had the same uncanny ability to remember people and names. My brother in law graduated from GU in the '70's.

His fourth child (Melaney) was born in June of 2002. Guess who made a personal phone call to my sisiter and brother in law to congratulate them on their new arrival...saintly Fr Tony.

No, my bro-in-law did not play gu basketball...just another student touched by the man.

It was only months after that event that Fr. Tony went on to his reward. That phone call is a treasured moment to this day.

jhoop
03-01-2007, 10:31 PM
PeninsulaDog:

Your comments regarding football in the 30's and 40's cause me to think of my favorite GU item; the memory of sitting at my uncle's kitchen table with a gallon of Paisano and reveling in his stories of Gonzaga. He came out of the rough and tumble mining/logging town of Priest River, Idaho in the mid 30's and attended GU on a boxing and football scholarship. He roomed three houses from my mother's family home and eventually married my mom's sister. To this day, I've never met a finer man. He was a teammate of George "Automatic" Karamatic and Tony "The Gray Ghost" Canadeo, two of Gonzaga's all time greats and the subects of two of my favorite stories.

Coach Mike Pecarovich recruited Canadeo's best friend out of Chicago, a high school super star and the coach wanted this guy badly. On a visit to Spokane the guy tells Pecarovich that he wanted his pal, Tony Canadeo, to receive a scholarship too. The coach's response was "no way", so the guy started to leave town and Pecarovich reluctantly gave in. I can't remember the super star's name but Tony Canadeo is in the NFL Hall of Fame.

George Karamatic was a highly recruited player who was on his way to the University of Washington with his mother and father to sign a scholarship offer. Somehow Pecarovich got wind of this and met the train when it stopped in Spokane to get serviced. Coach goes up to George and his parents and introduces himself and tells them what a great school Gonzaga was and George would fit right into the football program. George tells him not a chance and that he's going to play for the Washington Huskies. Well, Mr. and Mrs. Karamatic were Yugoslavian immigrants and Pecarovich grew up speaking Slavic, so he starts talking with Mr. and Mrs. Karamatic in Slavic. Within a few minutes Mr. and Mrs. Karamatic both turn to George and tell him that they're going no further and that he will be playing football for Gonzaga. He went on to become a triple threat star who consistently punted the less-streamlined 1930's ball 60 yards. I particularly like this tale because as far as I know, it was the first major victory by the Bulldogs over the Huskies.

I heard those and many more stories over and over again and never got tired of listening to them. Sipping on that wonderful Paisano red had a little to do with with that, but very little.

gamagin
03-02-2007, 07:07 AM
GREAT stories ! ! Classic. thanks.

former1dog
03-02-2007, 07:45 AM
Quick, silly Fr. Tony story. I knew Fr. Tony from my days at GU, although not that well.

But as was typical with Fr. Tony he knew who I was and was always very gracious and nice to me in the years after graduation.

I used to live in the bay area in CA and would go to as many games as I could when the Bulldogs were playing in town. At a Santa Clara game I was chatting w/ Fr. Tony after the game and he mentioned that he had to catch a plane (probably to preside at one your weddings :) ) and could I possibly give him a ride to the airport.

How could I refuse Fr. Tony?

I accepted even though I knew I would be embarrased. You see, at the time, I owned a really old and beat up Nissan pick up on which the passenger door was inoperable. Plus, I wasn't used to having passengers so I had stuff on the passenger seat. Fr. Tony didn't miss a beat and was happy to crawl through the drivers side after I got my stuff out of the way. I was still embarassed but somehow Fr. Tony made me feel less embarassed than I might have otherwise.

UberZagFan
03-02-2007, 11:12 AM
Another silly Father Tony story:

For some reason, I'll always remember the first time I met Father Tony. I may have told this story before, but here goes again.

It was Spring '88. I went to GU during spring break of my senior year in high school to visit my uncle. He lived in Cushing at the time--third floor. When I rolled into town, I went right up to my uncle's room so he could show me around. He had a little fridge in the corner...filled with Black Label, of course. While we were sitting there chatting, in walks a Jesuit priest who proceeds to grab a beer out of the fridge and sits down and chats with us. He introduced himself as Father Tony and I later learned that he was the hall's resident priest, living in the next room over. My uncle informed me that he had free and unlimited access to my uncle's fridge.

mhunton
08-17-2007, 01:05 PM
My favorite item, is my grandfathers Whistle, which was used to coach Gonzaga Prep to over 70 victories, 72, the Gonzaga only counts 65. It's the same one he used at GU, to bad they went 13-12-1 with 7 of those losses in 1941, when it was decided to drop football. Most likely why Puggy is not in the Gonzaga Hall of Fame. I have a couple of pretty cool scrap books and a photograph of the 1925 starting Backfield with Maurice Clipper Smith. My grandpa was in that backfield for 4 years. Best teams Gonzaga ever had, or ever will, in football. 1922-25.

Rubbadub
10-17-2007, 07:34 PM
favorite item is my ammo jersey...i wear my can't stop the stache t-shirt more often though.

(now every forum has been updated today :) )

SammamiZag
11-17-2007, 03:58 PM
I'm a big autograph collector, and stuck around after a bunch of Zags games to get stuff signed. I have one 8x10 photo each signed by most players between 2002-06 (still need all the new guys from this season), and 8x10s of a few of the 1999-02 group (Dickau, Hall, Calvary, Santangelo), some older ones (Frank Burgess, Jeff Brown, Paul Rogers, John Rillie, Bakari Hendrix). When Long Beach State comes to Seattle this season to play UW, I will probably try and get Dan Monson's autograph.

I would love to get John Stockton for this collection, but as many of you know he is next to impossible to get an autograph from - he simply doesn't like doing it for a myriad of reasons. The photo I have of him is an old one of him as a Zag dribbling the ball at the old Kennedy Pavilion, but it's memorabilia and unfortunately that kind of stuff sells on eBay so some bigger-name players are much more reluctant to sign such items. I did get a good handshake from John once after a game, which is good enough for me.

If I get around to scanning these photos in, I will definitely post a link on this board!

I also cherish my four Kennel Club shirts intensely from my years at GU, and will make sure NEVER to lose them. Those shirts will bring back memories years from now.

Zagpower
11-20-2007, 09:41 AM
Sammamizag: Wow! That's sounds like a very cool collection. Please post when you get pics. I'm trying to collect all the Zags on a basketball. It's getting pretty crowded. The post season banquet is a great chance for autos as all the current players are very accomodating. Might be worth a road trip for you.

John Stockton has never been much of a public signer for whatever reason. I think he is just a real private person and people around here certainly respect his wishes and I rarely see anyone approach him anymore. His autos are actually easier than ever to get......for a price. John is under contract with Topps (just like Adam) and his autographed cards are randomly inserted in Topps Trading card products. It's not as fun a way to get an autograph but at least it is absolutely guaranteed authentic.

As far as Ebay goes, it is unfortunate that some athletes refuse to sign citing Ebay sales as a reason not to. With the advent of autograph authentication services in the last few years, the value of unauthenticated autographs has dropped to practically zero. An unauthenticated auto of Stockton would probably bring $3-$5 on Ebay with authentic autographs going for $75-$200.

Anyhoo, good luck with that collection. I hope you get a lot of the new guys this year!

CarolinaZagFan
02-20-2008, 01:43 PM
The bad thing about these Monday games is the 5 day break between games. So here's one random topic to pass the time. What is your favorite piece of GU memorabilia?

I'll start off with my Adam Morrison signed basketball. My Dad got it for me for Christmas two years ago. It says "Go Zags signed Adam Morrison 3".

CaliforniaZaggin'
02-20-2008, 01:57 PM
This week it's even worse - no saturday game, so we have to wait until next Monday @ Portland.

I like those red, long-sleeved warm-up shirts that the guys wear.

frontrangezag
02-20-2008, 01:59 PM
Easy question for me. My #1 Ronny jersey beer holder. Got it in 02 or 03. They came our with a #3 a few years later, but they sold out quick from the bookstore. I don't know if the bookstore still sells them since I don't live in Spokane anymore. At any rate, they are not on the online bookstore site. I have not seen one made like that since. I would love a #2 though as mine, which are only used during games, are getting old. The lame thing is that I wrote my last name on the back.

BTW Carolinazag, I grew up near you in the huge city of Rocky Mount, NC.

CarolinaZagFan
02-20-2008, 02:10 PM
Easy question for me. My #1 Ronny jersey beer holder. Got it in 02 or 03. They came our with a #3 a few years later, but they sold out quick from the bookstore. I don't know if the bookstore still sells them since I don't live in Spokane anymore. At any rate, they are not on the online bookstore site. I have not seen one made like that since. I would love a #2 though as mine, which are only used during games, are getting old. The lame thing is that I wrote my last name on the back.

BTW Carolinazag, I grew up near you in the huge city of Rocky Mount, NC.

Really, thats pretty cool...a couple of my friends play baseball over there at NC Weslyan.

frontrangezag
02-20-2008, 02:22 PM
Baseball at NC Wesleyn? My cousin is marrying a senoir on that team this august.

BTW, I went to Elon over in Burlington for my BA and Gonzaga for graduate school.

D Hark 2003
02-20-2008, 02:22 PM
My T-Shirt from the 2000 sweet sixteen that has holes and stains but still gets some time out in public.

zagsfanforlife
02-20-2008, 02:24 PM
i have a few

1) is a shirt signed by the elite eight team on one side, and the team that at one point was ranked # 2 in the nation on the other side.

2) A ball signed by the greatest zags that i have witnessed (morrison, stepp, dickau, turiaf, violette, pargo, batista)

3) a picture of adam and me, that is signed by adam and framed.

4) a nike zags warmup signed by adam

rennis
02-20-2008, 02:37 PM
1) My t-shirt I bought the day after we beat SC in the '99 conference tournament, with a screen printed shot of Santangelo (who scored 36) and some newsprint from the Spokesman on the back and a ghetto looking bulldog on the front. I love that shirt, but never get to wear it.

2) The '99 Sports Illustrated issue with Frahm shooting the jumper over Stanford. I love to show people myself and my friends who you can clearly see in the bleachers in the background of the picture

3) All the newspaper clippings and taped TV coverage in which I'm a part of. I was in like 3 newpaper photos and countless TV interviews in the 99 and 2000 runs.

4) The Morrison/Reddick SI

5) All the stuff I have in my office at work. Too much to list, but when GU students come through for recruiting it's safe to say they are pretty blown away. No Huskies or Cougs in my building can match my office. (Especially whe you add in the Pearl Jam stuff...my office is a freaking shrine to all things that effing rock.)

tobizag
02-20-2008, 03:16 PM
the entire 2005-2006 team signed a "Go Zags" poster and the coaching staff sent a personalized card along with it for my mom who was battling brain cancer, but always found the energy to scream for the Zags!

mom passed away on March 14th, 2006, but the poster is still framed and hanging in my dad's living room, and the card is displayed next to it.

those two items are easily my favorite.

on a less serious note, the small nerf gonzaga basketball that i throw around the house during games is a favorite as well. :D

zag69
02-20-2008, 04:10 PM
A photo of half a dozen of us with Butch (the WSU mascot) whom we swiped in December of 1965 as a prank. It was for the grand opening of Kennedy Pavilion, and we had to return the cougar after the game.

UberZagFan
02-20-2008, 05:31 PM
Uber's Favorite (http://cgi.ebay.com/BULLDOGS-THONG-PANTIES-Sports-Panty-GONZAGA-Black_W0QQitemZ290188814944QQihZ019QQcategoryZ6385 4QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQ_trksidZp1638.m118.l1247 QQcmdZViewItem)

. . .really they shouldn't let Uber out of the Foo.

CarolinaZagFan
02-20-2008, 05:49 PM
Uber's Favorite (http://cgi.ebay.com/BULLDOGS-THONG-PANTIES-Sports-Panty-GONZAGA-Black_W0QQitemZ290188814944QQihZ019QQcategoryZ6385 4QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQ_trksidZp1638.m118.l1247 QQcmdZViewItem)

Wow, I'm really considering buying those for my girlfriend. Look at the "Item Location"....Here, There, Underwear, USA

Classic!

LongIslandZagFan
02-20-2008, 06:01 PM
Toss up for me. It could be either the place setting card from Ronny's senior banquet held on the K2 floor (signed by many players) or the signed Ammo signed Sports Illustrated. Not to mention the Ronny #1 jersey that gets worn to every Zag game I attend.

I'd have to say all three.

BoZarth
02-20-2008, 09:13 PM
Like Rennis I'm in the Frahm SI photo against Stanford. I have like 4 copies.

Also, I have picture of Adam from his freshman year dunking on the Huskies. He signed with my name and "Go Zags." Pretty cool. Framed and on the wall.

Zagineer
02-20-2008, 11:02 PM

Yep. You've got that one right. (Although......, I must admit, I do enjoy your posts. You're a funny guy. :D Maybe a little PG-13 to R at times, but still, a funny guy.)

My oldest item is the very first GU T-shirt I purchased in the summer of 1967. I still have it. A little worn, but still appropriate for around the house.

My most treasured posession is my GU basketball, signed by the 2003-04 team. It's kept in a glass container display. I check its air pressure and adjust it on a quarterly basis. There are two blank spots on it for autographs. One is reserved for The Honorable Judge Frank Burgess and the other for John Stockton. I don't know if I'll ever be able to get them. I've had a couple opportunities to approach Mr. Stockton for his signature on the ball, but just could not bring myself to impose upon him. Under the circumstances of the moment, I felt his privacy was more important. The man is a pure Class One Act.

And, oh, I can't forget my photo with Sean Mallon taken at Jack and Dan's in May of 2006 during the week of Law School Graduation (Not my graduation. My daughter's.) It sits on my office window shelf along with other photos of my wife and children. They're a little taken back by it but, too bad. :)

rennis 1) My t-shirt I bought the day after we beat SC in the '99 conference tournament, with a screen printed shot of Santangelo (who scored 36) and some newsprint from the Spokesman on the back and a ghetto looking bulldog on the front. I love that shirt, but never get to wear it.

If I can wear my '67 T-shirt around the house, you should surely be able to wear your '99 T-shirt in downtown Kirkland, in the summertime, Moss Bay, the Cactus, Hectors.....Go for it!

MontanaZag
02-21-2008, 02:10 AM
My favorite piece of zag memorabilia is a tattered intramural championship T-shirt from the year I went to GU. Our team was all guys out of catherine monica and we got our names put on the back. AND OF COURSE, ITS LUCKY!!! hahahah

rennis
02-21-2008, 07:05 AM
If I can wear my '67 T-shirt around the house, you should surely be able to wear your '99 T-shirt in downtown Kirkland, in the summertime, Moss Bay, the Cactus, Hectors.....Go for it!

That's hilarious! I live close to town and walk down there all the time with Zag stuff on, drink at Hectors & the Cactus, all of that stuff. Just not my old faded t-shirt that's falling apart. :)

rennis
02-21-2008, 07:06 AM
Like Rennis I'm in the Frahm SI photo against Stanford. I have like 4 copies.

nice! The funny thing is we were stuck in a crowd of Florida fans. They didn't like us too much. One of them, however, at the end of the game shook my hand and said "your team is scary, I wish we were playing Stanford next week"

ZagTrain
02-21-2008, 07:57 AM
Mine is an old-school children's sweatshirt with the sailor-hat wearing Bulldog.
(from the Stockton years, when my grandparents used to take 6-year-old me to the games)

I had it hanging on the wall for seveeral years, but I've got kid #1 on the way, and look forward to putting it to use in the inevitable indoctrination.

The GU thong panties are a close second though . . .

Angelo Roncalli
02-21-2008, 08:50 AM
Two years ago, for father's day, my wife took 25 of my GU t-shirts and sweatshirts and made a quilt of them for me. Each panel on the quilt is made from a shirt.
The center panel is made from a 1999 Elite 8 sweatshirt. The other sweet 16 shirts are there, too, as well as my 2005 official Kennel Club shirt, Stockton's number retirement shirt, Missouri BIS shirt, etc.

Oh--I should mention--the borders and backing are red satin.

LongIslandZagFan
02-21-2008, 08:55 AM

You had me up until this line, Pontiff. Methinks the wife forced that last line to be typed. :p

Pargo the Destroyer
02-21-2008, 09:29 AM
I have a couple bottles of broken backboard glass from when Casey Calvary hammered the backboard down at the arena. I also got a banner from the Black Coaches tourney that was in Maryland a few years back. I had Blake Stepp and Ronny Turiaf and Corey Violette sign it. Thats pretty cool.

lothar98zag
02-21-2008, 10:17 AM
Two years ago, for father's day, my wife took 25 of my GU t-shirts and sweatshirts and made a quilt of them for me. Each panel on the quilt is made from a shirt.
The center panel is made from a 1999 Elite 8 sweatshirt. The other sweet 16 shirts are there, too, as well as my 2005 official Kennel Club shirt, Stockton's number retirement shirt, Missouri BIS shirt, etc.

That's a creative way for the wife to reduce the amount of Zag clothing in the house...

zagabond
02-21-2008, 03:10 PM
My Pauley Pavilion ticket stub dated December 11, 1999. That was the day GU beat 11th-ranked UCLA 59-43. My wife and I were invited by an avid Bruin fan who knew nothing about Gonzaga and assumed the Zags were merely cannon fodder for the mighty Bruins who had several future NBA players on that team. Probably the most enjoyable Zag game I've personally attended.

RenoZag
02-21-2008, 10:01 PM
We'll move this one back to the Blue & White Cafe in a little while. . .some great stories and wonderful treasures.

gamagin
02-22-2008, 08:11 AM
I have some things I cherish, but unfortunately they are gathering dust in my heart, not in my closet.

Having spent the first 21 years of my life living on what now is part of the campus (The rosauers Higher Ed building bears our home's address), and the rest of it nearby, I feel like it has always been there for me, like a childhood friend or a lifelong mentor.

If I could wave a wand, and would have had the foresight to save anything, it would be the pictures that pop up in my head about things I saw, people I met and priests whom we used to serve mass for or just walk along with as a matter of course while growing up.

Fr. Corkery, Fr. Linden (who always had a yellow lab named Mike), Fr. robbie, Brother Buskins, Fr. St Marie (who always gave us candy). even Frs. Kohler and Dussault, who took more basketballs away than I'd care to count (because we would play in the gym --russell theatre-- after hours and, technically, illegally). Harold Wagner (the first treasurer and my dad's boss at one time), too. would be in there. Along with Dan Brajcich, Sr. And Father John Hurley, who was treasurer at Gonzaga High School when it was located where Welch Hall now stands, Fr. Harry Jahn (the kindly fellow who gave us all the sports paraphanalia GU/GP no longer wanted to the neighborhood kids), Fr. Toner (Gordon the Warden). Fr. Gerald Weller, whom I was named after. Right on through Fr. tony, who legitimately could claim to have touched every single person he ever met. And remembered their names, too.

As a bat boy for the baseball team and ball boy for several basketball teams, I also had great access to the inside action for several years.

So without elaborating further, I would say only that I wish those pictures in my heart had been captured on film so I could look at them.

Or just show my kids and grandkids the wonderful childhood my parents provided me and that Gonzaga tolerated, too.

there just was no place better, and no better influence one could hope for or be exposed to, than living in that environment and taking part in all that it offered.

It is and remains a city within a city where hopes and expectations and kindness and love are but a few of what is expected of all who enter.

And it makes me well up to think just how wonderful it was to be a part of it. To be embraced by it. To recall it. To appreciate it and the people who embraced me. Remember me. Appreciated me.

It would make a wonder blanket, like Angelo's. Or a beautiful collage. I would love to show it to you all, but this is the best I can do because my collection doesn't exist in the physical sense.

Or maybe now it does.

Thanks for thinking this thread up. It's just great.

75Zag
04-23-2008, 02:36 PM
Mostly I lurk around the basketball forum, but I thought I would wander over here. What a fun place, and thanks to the people posting and offering memories.

I have a wooden sword signed on one side by all my fellow "Intercollegate Knights" from 72-73, and on the other side it has a painted slogan "Once A Knight is Enough".

I have half a roll of tickets from a campus carnival event that was held on the lawn east of Welch Hall in the spring of 1973. Fr. Tony would not allow us (Roncalli Dorm) to sell beer at the carnival, but after negotiations he agreed we could give out beer as a prize as long as we were discrete. So we took a full sheet of plywood and cut a hole that was approximately 42 inches wide and 90 inches tall. We placed the sheet of plywood 18 inches from the front table. You got 1 bean bag per $1.00 entry, and if you tossed the bean bag through the hole you won a can of Hamms. We awarded over a thousand cans of Hamms as prizes that day. Fr. Tony was a wonderful guy and a great inspiration to me and my friends, but he would not have made much of a contract lawyer.

LoveMyZags
04-29-2008, 04:49 PM
I think my license plate is my favorite Zags item. In CA we can have some symbols and my vanity plate says <3MYZAGS. I get honks and thumbs up on highway 101 all the time!

Other than that, it is my diploma, all my kennel club tee shirts and the flag that got "left behind" after a school sponsored party at my parents house. And the picture I have of Ronny and I in my dorm room freshman year.

Ahh the memories!

Birddog
05-01-2008, 04:22 PM
It's not my favorite and it hasn't been worn in many years. It's extremely rare, may even be one of a kind now,and it is authentic. I have a GU Speedo.

Angelo Roncalli
05-01-2008, 07:10 PM
It's not my favorite and it hasn't been worn in many years. It's extremely rare, may even be one of a kind now,and it is authentic. I have a GU Speedo.

Picture, please.

RenoZag
08-21-2013, 08:12 PM
http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x375/RenoZag/Zagseatcushion_zps65a2d10a.jpg (http://s1178.photobucket.com/user/RenoZag/media/Zagseatcushion_zps65a2d10a.jpg.html)

Fund raiser from the 70's ??

gonzagafan62
03-05-2014, 09:21 AM
I possess a wedding ring that is worth around $20 bucks, but it has a Gonzaga Bulldog on it.

I also own, my 2005-2006 Kennel Club T-Shirt, a very worn down Gonzaga hoodie (bought it in 2007 beaten and torn, I won't part with it), 7 different GU Hats representing each season that I started really following the team. I have a Gonzaga ring of fame which includes all my favorite all time Zaggers like Reed Schiefferman, John Stockton, Jerry Vermillion, Frank Burgess, AMMO, Stepp, Santangelo, you get it....

I also have an autographed AMMO pictured plaque when he played against Okie State that I absolutely adore, as well as the AMMO Sports Illustrated and Sporting News.

Now all I need is a ticket stub! HA!

former1dog
04-29-2014, 09:18 AM
Memories and photos are my most prized GU possessions.

GoZags
05-13-2016, 05:17 AM
Memories and photos are my most prized GU possessions.

Off season "bump" and move from Mae's ..... so good to see some names from the past (and wish they'd come back)

Agree F1d ... although I kinda like my "good luck" jersey, which used to fit loosely over pads and now is a "bit" snug. We got to keep our jerseys after winning a Championship my freshman year. Also ... a tip of the cap to my fellow "Knight" '75 ... (although I was a couple of years later)

http://i925.photobucket.com/albums/ad93/tbkd1/207576_10200131617967445_1238068132_n_zpspeoukdwi. jpg (http://s925.photobucket.com/user/tbkd1/media/207576_10200131617967445_1238068132_n_zpspeoukdwi. jpg.html)
http://i925.photobucket.com/albums/ad93/tbkd1/0001IMG_3383_zps48iku5bw.jpg (http://s925.photobucket.com/user/tbkd1/media/0001IMG_3383_zps48iku5bw.jpg.html)
http://i925.photobucket.com/albums/ad93/tbkd1/aaaadammorrison540.jpg (http://s925.photobucket.com/user/tbkd1/media/aaaadammorrison540.jpg.html)

Zagtana
05-13-2016, 09:52 AM
I have several GU sweatshirts, plaques, a GU clock, etc. Treasure them all. But none can come within a billion miles in comparison to my most beloved “Zag item,” that being my precious wife of some 56 years. We were both students at GU, and we met at a GU basketball game in the Coliseum. That was 58 years ago (the Burgess years). At that game, a friend of mine informed me that he had just learned of a girl student that needed a ride from the game to her house on the South Hill, in the area I lived in. I said sure. Turned out, my passenger and I lived within six blocks from each other, but I had never met her until that night. Long story short, I began giving her a ride to school every day. We were married a little over a year later. Today, some four sons and daughter-in-laws and many grandkids and great grandkids later, we still, out here where we live in Montana, watch every GU game together on TV. GO ZAGS!!!

75Zag
05-13-2016, 12:06 PM
I have several GU sweatshirts, plaques, a GU clock, etc. Treasure them all. But none can come within a billion miles in comparison to my most beloved “Zag item,” that being my precious wife of some 56 years. We were both students at GU, and we met at a GU basketball game in the Coliseum. That was 58 years ago (the Burgess years). At that game, a friend of mine informed me that he had just learned of a girl student that needed a ride from the game to her house on the South Hill, in the area I lived in. I said sure. Turned out, my passenger and I lived within six blocks from each other, but I had never met her until that night. Long story short, I began giving her a ride to school every day. We were married a little over a year later. Today, some four sons and daughter-in-laws and many grandkids and great grandkids later, we still, out here where we live in Montana, watch every GU game together on TV. GO ZAGS!!!

Great story, and a major reason why I love and support GU. I met Mary (aka the Lovely Mrs. '75) on the day of my 18th birthday when she was walking down the hallway of Catherine-Monica, GU's recently created co-ed dorm. We have been together for 45 years, which is less than you guys, but still a pretty decent accomplishment these days. Best to you and your wife and extended family, and .....

Go Bulldogs!

ZagNut08
05-13-2016, 02:34 PM
wife got me a basketball signed by the 2008 team, which is when I graduated. Also got a signed Morrison jersey last year from some coworkers.

GlacierZag
05-15-2016, 05:29 AM
wife got me a basketball signed by the 2008 team, which is when I graduated. Also got a signed Morrison jersey last year from some coworkers.

I've only been following the Zags for a couple of years, but my "prized" possession is a signed team ball from the 2015 Elite 8 team.

Just_An_Old_Zag
05-15-2016, 11:30 AM
If there was a house fire what would we grab? Hmmmm...The Mrs would grab the autographed John Stockton BBall cuz we spent $600 to buy it at a youth sports fund raising auction. that doesn't include the cost of the beer that lec me to spend that amount. I would grab the Robert Sacre autographed .99 cent double 0 beer coozie

Hoopaholic
05-15-2016, 12:16 PM
I've only been following the Zags for a couple of years, but my "prized" possession is a signed team ball from the 2015 Elite 8 team.

With you in that one

I would die for a fly fishing trip with coach few

Hoopaholic
05-15-2016, 12:21 PM

Great minds think alike my wife made similar quilt for the old man several years ago. The other 7 kids were possess for years at me when they found out dad put it in his will it's to go back to us. It sits in man cave and he rubs it before each game we watch

seasontixholder
05-15-2016, 12:43 PM
I've got a drawerful of free fan towels from the MAC and Arena. Having a blanket made with all those variant styles has been one of my thoughts for a few years.

zagbeliever
05-15-2016, 04:20 PM
My mom passed away in March of last year of brain cancer, but before she died the entire team signed a poster for her, and the coaches sent her a card saying that they were praying for her.

The poster is framed in my dad's house, and will always be our favorite piece of memorabilia.

That is a treasure. How wonderful for your mom as well as your family. I'm sure that warmed her heart. Makes me teary.

ZAGLAWQB
05-15-2016, 04:34 PM
Fitz gave me a shirt that said, "Intramurals Director". He then said, "Don't piss off the undergrads too much and this
position isn't in the budget until way after you are finished with Law School."

MDABE80
05-15-2016, 07:23 PM
I have a letter (if they count) from Fr Tim O"Leary . It was after my freshman year of playing ball and my grades showed it. In it he told me " I have a better chance of getting into medical school than you.....and I'm not even applying".
My mom kept it. We''ve had such unforgettabe people at GU. In some ways, it's been like living in a movie......

LongIslandZagFan
05-15-2016, 07:45 PM
My Ronny Turiaf #1 jersey... I'd say my Zag hats... but my kids keep stealing them. My last one I brought back from Spokane, my daughter stole it out of my suitcase and took it to school with her... So... I currently don't OWN an Zag hat... going to have to rectify that soon.

zagsfanforlife
05-16-2016, 09:59 AM
I have 3:

1) A shadowbox of signed sports cards, pictures, gonzaga floor from the all time greats since 1998. My dad gave it to me for my 27th birthday so it adds special meaning.

2) A signed basketball of all the greats since 1998. I was that young kid who would wait for them after games and get only the best players to sign a basketball. Santangelo, Frahm, Morrison, Bouldin, Stepp, Few, Dickau, Harris, Turiaf, Violette, Calvary, Daye.. they have all signed it

3) A signed Sweet 16 shirt of the 1998-1999 team that i have framed.

Would love to post some of my items but the site is extremely user UNfriendly when trying to attach images.

I also have signed sports illustrated of Morrison, signed shooting shirt, and signed jersey of a few sweet 16 teams.

Martin Centre Mad Man
07-31-2016, 06:52 AM
I keep the gold bars from my commissioning as an Army Lieutenant in a box full of small treasures. I hope to pass them on to a family member some day. Two of my cousins enrolled in officer training in recent years, but neither of them finished.

I haven't kept much else from those days. My wife is a relentless foe of hoarding and she purged a lot of old stuff while we were moving from base to base during my military career. The last item to go was my rugby shirt from the Knights. I wish I had held on to that one.

GrizZAG
07-31-2016, 07:27 AM
Love this thread. Ditto on Hoop's fly fishing experience, it would be way cool.

My favorites are my Zag pajama bottoms. Can't remember where I bought them but I should have bought three because these are going to wear out some day. They have footies on them like the zip up bunny suits we put our kids in. They are dark blue with GU all over them along with the Bulldog symbols. I love the darn things. Makes my wife laugh too.

Next is a hat (my avatar) that is signed on the bill by Dan Dickau. A client of mine in Vancouver, WA is an old buddy of Dan from his high school days in Brush Prairie. He gave it to me because he knew I was a passionate fan of the Zags.

While living in Portland area my neighbor bought me a real high quality licence plate frame that says GONZAGA in bold letters at the bottom and ZAGS on top. I spend winters in S. Cal and that plate frame causes a lot of interesting interactions.

I won't mention the truck load of clothing and other

I have been GrizZag since 09. I saw someone that had a personalized license plate that says GrizZag on it. Who are you?

Rangerzag
07-31-2016, 09:03 AM

With you in that one

I, also, would love to fish with coach. In a perfect world it would be after I accomplish some planned fly fishing skill upgrades on my part. Oh, to dream.

zagbeliever
07-31-2016, 09:34 AM
My custom converse Chuck Taylor Zag shoes. Even the rivets are color coordinated and the side says GO ZAGS! 2nd favorite is a photo set my daughter put together for me in Zag frame with Sam Dower and Myself and one with Spike and me :)

Zagnificent
07-31-2016, 10:39 AM
In my photo: Team signed #20 jersey from the first Zags team to be a #1 seed in the tourney. That was an amazing season....well worth the $500 framing cost. Museum glass ain't cheap.

RenoZag
07-31-2016, 12:17 PM
In 1999, Garth Patil & Dale Goodwin put together a four page insert called " Breakout '99" that was in the Signum. . .Pages 2 - 3 were highlighted by a nice photo of Casey dunking on Florida. . .he's wearing the shorts that had the old snarling bulldog caricature.

Had it framed and matted and it hangs in the office. . .above the GU diploma.

There's room for more history to come. . .

Update: a small Zags banner in my garden, birthday gift last year from Mrs. Reno. . .

zagmantis2001
07-31-2016, 05:22 PM
Update: a small Zags banner in my garden, birthday gift last year from Mrs. Reno. . .

About 2000, a guy named Casey Delaney made some GU hats with the "G" logo from the 1940s baseball team. Comfortable hat, cool logo. Wish I could find him again and see if he has any extras. People ask me where I got it all of the time.

tyra
08-01-2016, 02:43 AM
I would love to show the photo of the world's largest custom made Zag banner which Sinto graciously loaned me and which I proudly display on the wall of my office (well, actually it pretty much covers the wall). But I am too old to figure out how to insert a photo (despite reading the instructions a thousand times). Take my word for it, however: Sinto's banner is both beautiful and very large!